Curious if anyone else had this issue....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can test your theory very cheaply and fairly reliably by going to a pick and pull and yanking out a couple switches just like yours...they shouldnt cost more than a few bucks each and will be OEM (I believe Delphi made them in that era). You should also be able to find replacements/spares for other sensors, switches there as well. You want to pull from a vehicle with no busted out or open windows, as the parts inside would have been protected from the elements...
I have the original switch I replaced believing it was bad, new one has lifetime warranty... Just picked up a steering wheel puller so I can see down into the column for any breaks or unusual item.....Thank you Nick....

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shift interlock issues?
Not sure about brake light switch.... I have this issue that when I leave it running and put it back in park, it wont shift out of Park unless I shut it off and start it back up... Going to check Ignition switch this weekend.... Getting over Covid...

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find out today that some where along the steering column is a neutral safety switch... Only drawback is have to order it and it'll cost about 25 bucks shipped....Guess we'll see if that does it... Apparently there is no NSS on my transmission being a 1994 4L60E....

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Located at bottom of column. You will see it.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Located at bottom of column. You will see it.
After learning it had one inside and not outside, I'm seeing it's location... Does the dimmer rod run along thru it ? I dont have bright lights due to the switch not engaging some kind of rod....

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You can get an idea of the locations here.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a strange problem. Never heard of a column re-locking itself without turning the key back. Not sure I agree with bad switches,more inclined to think it's in the mechanical linkage part of the switch. Possibly the gear and/or rack that the lock barrel operates.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a strange problem. Never heard of a column re-locking itself without turning the key back. Not sure I agree with bad switches,more inclined to think it's in the mechanical linkage part of the switch. Possibly the gear and/or rack that the lock barrel operates.
Once I get time, I'll be checking the rubber bushing in the linkage underneath for wear.... The transmission been out 3 times.... The last is when I had a professional rebuild it... So being 30 years old, nothing surprises me anymore... Last thing I really want to do is break into the steering column just to find out it wasn't needed....