Cruise control troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi guys! The Cruise control on my 92 Silverado 6.2 diesel is not working and I’m looking some troubleshooting guidelines maybe from a shop manual? I don’t know where to start otherwise...

/Best regards, Rob

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '99 6.5 TD had cruise issues. I found some help on the diesel place forum. https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/

Pinned out the whole mess and tested everything like instructed. No worky still. I eventually replaced the PMD a few months later (unrelated to cruise) and the cruise started working like a champ.

I'd ask for input from those diesel guys. Tons of knowledge over there.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pump Mounted Driver.... An electronic box that controls fuel delivery on the 6.5 Turbo Diesel.

Thinking there may be a similar ancillary device on the 6.2 that might not be a "usual" cruise control component that is normally suspect....
I'm not very familiar with the 6.2s.

The guys over at diesel place forum will be much more knowledgeable about 6.2s.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pump Mounted Driver.... An electronic box that controls fuel delivery on the 6.5 Turbo Diesel.

Thinking there may be a similar ancillary device on the 6.2 that might not be a "usual" cruise control component that is normally suspect....
I'm not very familiar with the 6.2s.

The guys over at diesel place forum will be much more knowledgeable about 6.2s.
His 6.2 is mechanical injection so it won't have a PMD.. but you're right, the diesel guys may be a lot more help. Hell, I don't even know what the cruise setup on a 6.2 is.. most likely it's electric motor/cable-operated like a gas truck. Those cruise modules themselves rarely go bad...but there is some troubleshooting that is likely going to be the same as a gas truck:

#1 suspect is the turn signal stalk as the wiring often breaks (internally) where it bends going into the column on the pre-1995 design. There's a plug underneath the dash roughly above your left knee, clipped to the dash sheemetal support, with an orange tab (usually) on it. You can unplug it there and use a meter set on continuity to probe the 4 fingers on the connector. One is ground, the other are the button/switch functions. Can't trace color to figure out which is which as the wires are all in a black jacket but it's not hard to figure out which is which and test the other 3 against the ground to see if the wiring is good.

You must be registered for see images attach

#2 suspect is brake switch, even if the brake lights are working. There are 3 sets of connections in there on leaf switches. Brake lights, cruise disable, torque converter clutch unlock. The leafs get weak over time and break inside the switch or just lose enough spring tension that they don't work correctly anymore. You can simply unplug the switch and check each set as you'll see there are 6 pins on there; 2 pins for each switch. The pre-1994 switch is adjustable and can get out of adjustment but if your brake lights are working it is likely adjusted correctly.

Richard

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Richard.... Excellent info.
I forgot about the GMT400 brake switch issues. I've owned 2 GMT400s in the last 3 years and I've had to replace the brake switch on both of them within the first few months of ownership. I guess 20+ years is pushing the limit of the switch's life.