Cruise control is shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Anyone know where this fuse is? Going out of town tomorrow and most of it is hiway driving.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on a '93, on my '96 I believe its under the hood in the engine compartment fuse block which is on the drivers side up by the firewall. or it might be in the drivers side door jamb fuse block.

I've had the brake pedal switch go out, and the multifunction switch in the column, but never actually blown the cruise fuse.

lancer-am

Reaction score
Just going to update this with some factory cruise control information as I have been trying to track down the issue with my cruise.

This information is from a 98 GMC Sierra 1500 but should be appilicable to anyone here with a non-vacuum driven cruise.

Fuse is #6 in the panel by the driver's side door. it is a 10 Amp.

The Cruise control is grounded through the 3rd brake light, if your cruise has stopped working check the bulbs, some people have even reported issues when swapping these to LED bulbs.

If both of those fail you then next it is between the switch and the module. The switch is easy to test.

Disconnect the wiring harness from the crusie control module. There are three main wires you will test. Looking at the harness you should see each wire has a letter on the harness itself.

Using a multimeter set it to measure DC voltage, jam the ground probe in the E connection on the harness. This is the ground wire. Next, with the truck key set to ON, insert the positive probe into the A connection on the harness. This should register at 12V. If it does not, then your cruise on switch may not be working. If it does, move on to the next test.

Remove the positive probe and insert it into the B connector. Now while watching the multimeter push the Cruise Set button on the end of the turn signal switch. The multimeter should read 12v when depressed. If it does not, then your set switch may not be working. If it does, move on to the next test.

Remove the positive probe and insert it into the C connector. Now while watching the multimeter push the Resume/Accel button. The multimeter should read 12v when depressed. If it does not, then your Resume/Accel switch may not be working.

If you do all of these and the switch checks out, then your issue should be the Module.

Replacement modules and switches are available for about $70 each from ebay. If your switch has only 1 or 2 functions not working, you can run a wire from the harness to a aftermarket switch and run your cruise that way, not pretty but it can be the $5 fix you need for a little while.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Replaced the module on the firewall with one that I knew worked out of my father in laws before he scrapped the truck. Still not working.
My fuse is good.
No third brake light on my '93.
I will try testing the harness tomorrow in the day light. In case needed, how hard is it to change the turn signal switch on a '93? Does the new switch have to be from a '93?

98chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my cruise started randomly shutting off about 6 months ago then about 2 months ago it completely quit working. I did put a new LED brake light in a little before it started acting up. How can I go about grounding it differently?

rightisray

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the module on the firewall with one that I knew worked out of my father in laws before he scrapped the truck. Still not working.
My fuse is good.
No third brake light on my '93.
I will try testing the harness tomorrow in the day light. In case needed, how hard is it to change the turn signal switch on a '93? Does the new switch have to be from a '93?

Not hard to change the lever. It simply snaps into place with a serperate wire that goes to a plug at the bottom of the steering column. Simply unplug the wire and tie a string to it, remove turn signal switch and pull the wire out. To install new switch, tie the new wire to the string and run it back down the column, plug it in and plug in the new switch.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
just on the side, 93-down, cruise control doesnt have a fuse. i hooked my cruise control from a parts truck and never had any fuse for it... i could be wrong, but unless where i pluged it in has a fuse already in it, there is none. the cruise control works pretty simply, basicly if it isnt the outside moduale , it would lead to being either a bad ground, or i would chekc the wires under the dash that go to your power block or whatever you want to call it... where all yoru power options are plugged in to. Make sure everything is pluged. Then if thats not your problem, it would lead to your lever.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Cool guys, thanks. Once this heat wave were having passes I'm back to work on the truck. For now, inside and AC for me :)