Cranks but won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Catfish

Reaction score
98 Suburban 5.7 vortex won't start. I have 56#'s of fuel pressure, key on. I have spark at the plugs. I did replace the distributor and it's in time. I know I had bad gas, it has sat for a couple of years, so I drained that and put in 10 gals of fresh gas. After all this it's trying, coughing. This is the biggest improvement so far.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
56lbs isnt enough, you're about 10 psi too low. The spec is 60-66

Verify by trying starting fluid. If it starts, it's got a defective fuel pump.

Catfish

Reaction score
I tried starting fluid first and it won't even fire off of that. The only thing that shows any sign of trying is putting gas straight down the throat of the throttlebody. Honestly I'd rather do a pump than the spider right now. Oh and yes I'm getting gas to the cylinders. Maybe not enough?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have spark ACROSS THE PLUG GAP?

Having spark at the plug end of the plug wire isn't enough. If the plugs are fouled, the spark energy won't fire the mixture.

Clean the plugs, re-test. It should run on starting fluid, aerosol carb spray, or gasoline poured into the throttle body.

Verify that the fuel pump is getting proper voltage, and has good ground. If the voltage or the ground is weak, the pump might run but not provide enough pressure. Also, check to see if the fuel filter is partially-plugged. A restricted fuel filter can cut the fuel pressure, too.

Catfish

Reaction score
Thanks. The plugs have been cleaned and tested for spark. The fuel pressure is a solid 57#'s. According to GM that's plenty high enough. I'm going to try another test this weekend but I'm almost certain it's the spider.