Crank Damper pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R_W_B

Reaction score
(Chevy SM V8) I was turning my engine around with a rachet to set my valve lash. After I got them all done I went to turn the crank backwards 1 full turn to get it back to TDC on #1 so it will be set to drop the Distributor back in later.

However my problem is while I was turning the crank backwards the center bolt came loose on the crank pulley (the one that the serpentine belt goes around) where it goes onto the damper. So I finished getting it back to #1 by turning one of the other bolts, but it came loose too. I need to retorque both of these back tight, before I put all the stuff back on but I'm wondering what is the best way to hold it steady ? ( it's an automatic trans).

Is there a tool for this ?

If I wrap and old serpentine belt around it and tie it off to hold it, will the torque hurt the damper ?

Appreciate any info.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put a large flathead in one of the teeth on the flywheel to hold the crank still while you tighten it.

R_W_B

Reaction score
I have one other question: My Haynes manual lists the torque values simply as " Damper bolts " . I surmise these are in fact the pulley bolts since the damper is pressed on correct ?