Corona Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those the factory Bilsteins?!? Replace them with the same Bilstein 4600's, or go up to the 5100's if you feel like spending the cash. Great shocks.

Jrowdy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! Some updates!
Got the new rear end home. And ordered the 4.10 gear change kit. Now this is where I am struggling. I need to change the gears in the front to match the rear. Ideally I’d like to get a differential already with the 4.10 gears and swap it in. But I can not find one anywhere. And I’m having a hard time finding what front differentials fit my truck. I know it’s got to be a half ton. But that’s it. So still got some digging to do.

While waiting on that I thought id tackle a couple other tasks. And get a parts list together.
So I know I haven’t had a/c in this truck for at least 3 years. The last time I messed with it I added a whole can of Freon and that did nothing. So I assumed I needed a new compressor and pushed it off. Started some troubleshooting on the a/c and smoked the ac controls inside the truck messing with the relay. Put that at the top of the list haha. Im not 100% sure if I’m right about this but I pushed pin in on the Freon refill connector and nothing came out. Im assuming it’s empty. there must be a leak. And my goal here is to make this like a brand new truck again. That means all new a/c components.
Compressor, condenser, and Dryer? Anything els I should replace while the systems open?

The factory radio knobs and lights are going out. Going to replace that while doing the a/c controller. I’ve got a pioneer I was going to put in a while ago but never got around to it. I would like to put some better door speakers in and maybe the rear ones as well. Add a 10” sub and amp. Probably will be starting a thread in the audio section on a good setup to put in.

Figured I’d go ahead and order everything to replace all the front end components too.

Order that went in 2 days ago,
Compressor
Condenser
Dryer
Hvac controls
Freon
Upper control arms
Cv axles
Pitman arm
Stabilizer
Tie rod inner and outer
Adjusting sleeve
Motor mounts
Parking brake cable to rear

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! Some updates!
Got the new rear end home. And ordered the 4.10 gear change kit. Now this is where I am struggling. I need to change the gears in the front to match the rear. Ideally I’d like to get a differential already with the 4.10 gears and swap it in. But I can not find one anywhere. And I’m having a hard time finding what front differentials fit my truck. I know it’s got to be a half ton. But that’s it. So still got some digging to do.

While waiting on that I thought id tackle a couple other tasks. And get a parts list together.
So I know I haven’t had a/c in this truck for at least 3 years. The last time I messed with it I added a whole can of Freon and that did nothing. So I assumed I needed a new compressor and pushed it off. Started some troubleshooting on the a/c and smoked the ac controls inside the truck messing with the relay. Put that at the top of the list haha. Im not 100% sure if I’m right about this but I pushed pin in on the Freon refill connector and nothing came out. Im assuming it’s empty. there must be a leak. And my goal here is to make this like a brand new truck again. That means all new a/c components.
Compressor, condenser, and Dryer? Anything els I should replace while the systems open?

The factory radio knobs and lights are going out. Going to replace that while doing the a/c controller. I’ve got a pioneer I was going to put in a while ago but never got around to it. I would like to put some better door speakers in and maybe the rear ones as well. Add a 10” sub and amp. Probably will be starting a thread in the audio section on a good setup to put in.

Figured I’d go ahead and order everything to replace all the front end components too.

Order that went in 2 days ago,
Compressor
Condenser
Dryer
Hvac controls
Freon
Upper control arms
Cv axles
Pitman arm
Stabilizer
Tie rod inner and outer
Adjusting sleeve
Motor mounts
Parking brake cable to rear

Swap front axle from a 2500/3500? I thought I read someone here asking about that and it was mentioned the 9.25" axle would drop right in? Maybe requires modifications? A lot of the late GMT-400 2500s had 4.10s optioned and it was standard on the 3500 models. I don't believe the 1500s ever got 4.10s from the factory in those years? I suppose that's not an option because of the 8 lug, so never mind :)

I would like to learn how to regear. Most mechanics around here don't do that type of work. I think places like 4wheelpart will do it. Runs about $1,500 front and rear. If you buy the specialized tools, press, dial indicators, etc. it's around $600, plus the actual cost the gears. If I do my own truck, my buddy's trucks, the tools have paid for themselves.

BTW, awesome thread! Great job!

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
+1 more on the factory 4600 Bilsteins, great shocks!

I had a White 1998 Z71 ECSB with a red pinstripe and those newer 18" Z71 wheels, wish I would have kept that pickup! There is a build thread on it, somewhere on the site.

Nice work so far, very sharp pickup!

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my 14B reheated by 4WP and it ran me close to $2100. Single axle but all new bearings and seals. Had to change carrier too

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swap front axle from a 2500/3500? I thought I read someone here asking about that and it was mentioned the 9.25" axle would drop right in? Maybe requires modifications? A lot of the late GMT-400 2500s had 4.10s optioned and it was standard on the 3500 models. I don't believe the 1500s ever got 4.10s from the factory in those years? I suppose that's not an option because of the 8 lug, so never mind :)

The problem with the larger front axle is that it will bolt into the frame with small fabrication, but because it is a larger carrier it moves the axle to the passenger side by about an inch or so. This makes the passenger axle too long and the drivers side too short.