Coolant leak, need help. 1998 GMC K1500 Suburban Vortec 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony Ray

Reaction score
Like everyone said it's a block heater. If you are still unsure and want to play it safe, write your VIN down and take it to a chevy dealership. Tell then your tring to identify the part. They can look up your VIN and tell you what it is. It could be an discontinued part and have to go aftermarket. ie. I was looking for orginal body mounts and could not find them. Went to the Chevy dealership parts department with my VIN and bingo they had them.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Its not very cold where I am.
Don't know where you are in BC, but I grew up here on the lower mainland. Never used nor even knew what a block heater was until I spent a couple of winters in Edmonton.
That was just about enough. Ewww...!
"Did you plug in your truck in last night?"
"Did I what...? Plug it in? Why? It runs on gas."
"Nonono. The block heater."
"Block heater? Isn't that what I'm wearin'? That's what I've always called 'em. They make them big enough for trucks? ...and they're electric, too? Cool. Expensive? Who sells them? Team colors? A big fluffy ball on top? Extra $$$ for a storage bag? So many questions."
No clue.

You must be registered for see images attach

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update...

Sorry for not posting an update sooner but, life happens and I had to focus on other things.
I also had to do some really frustrating repairs on my daily driver that was more of a priority.

So... last week I finally got around to to pull the plug.
As I start to loosen the bolt I notice that it wasn't very tight. So, instead of removing it I just tightened it up. It's been a week now and it's not leaking anymore.
I will keep an eye on it for now but as long its not leaking I don't see a reason to replace it.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update...

Sorry for not posting an update sooner but, life happens and I had to focus on other things.
I also had to do some really frustrating repairs on my daily driver that was more of a priority.

So... last week I finally got around to to pull the plug.
As I start to loosen the bolt I notice that it wasn't very tight. So, instead of removing it I just tightened it up. It's been a week now and it's not leaking anymore.
I will keep an eye on it for now but as long its not leaking I don't see a reason to replace it.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Do you have rpo K05?