Convertible Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puke

Reaction score
I did a search for "convertible" here and found a link to a convertible step-side pickup, but I haven't managed to find photos of a suburban with the roof removed yet.

The idea of four doors and two or three rows of seating is appealing to me. Thinking of a weekend cruiser for pulling the boat to the lake etc. Perhaps upholster the seats with marine vinyl, and put in marine carpeting on the floors, marine radio and speakers etc. Not sure if I could fabricate a soft top or not.

I read of someone considering a top-chop on the early 80s suburbans and their concern was that without the rigidity a roof provides that the body would probably flex in such a way that the doors wouldn't want to be opened, can you guys think of a good way to keep the body stiff while keeping a clean exterior appearance?

Here is a pic I sawed up to show the look I am going for;
You must be registered for see images attach

Would probably remove the plastic side molding, but that is the general look I am after. I am thinking a suburban instead of a crew cab because used burbs seem much more common and affordable.

Any thoughts on an endeavor like this?

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There use to be one around here with the top cut off and a rollcage welded in and it looked good. It also had a soft top made to go on it as well.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a fullsize, but here's an S10 done in a similar style:

I wish I had some earlier pics of this thing. It looked better when it was first built and it was usually seen showing sans top.