Connector smoking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nessa-92Blazer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came out to my truck and the battery was 100% dead. Test light wasn't even lighting up touching the negative to positive posts on the battery itself. So I had my girl hook up the jumper cables while I watched the truck and sure enough I saw smoke. Its the power lock connector and it looks like the hot wire was loose because it wasn't attached at all, just touching the connector. Could there be something else that caused this? I did find a few things removed and taped up on the harness from the old owner or was it simply just a loose wire. And does anyone know a part number to replace this thing?

I'm completely paranoid about vehicle fires on this truck...even have 3 fire extinguishers inside of it. So I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• 20230629_175250.jpg
    20230629_175250.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 13

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Well, I don't have power locks but in my other vehicles those are always hot no matter what position the ignition switch is in. So if that wire touched ground, it'll end up draining the battery or worse. Although with all the taped wires you found, I suspect that isn't the last of your electrical problems.

Nessa-92Blazer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have power locks but in my other vehicles those are always hot no matter what position the ignition switch is in. So if that wire touched ground, it'll end up draining the battery or worse. Although with all the taped wires you found, I suspect that isn't the last of your electrical problems.

Good call! Didn't even think about that but you're right the wiring diagram has it at hot at all times. Thank you

And I just got ahold of the previous owner and he said all the taped up connections were all the heat and AC relays and stuff, so hopefully those won't cause any issues.