Compressor locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
about 4 months ago my compressor locked up goin down the road. Truck stalled. Now that its heating up outside I wanna fix it. Leading up to it locking up my truck didn't blow as cold and it would make 3 knocks every 5 seconds with the ac on. I added freon and it stopped but eventually came back. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to replace the compressor but I just wanna make sure that it's not something else like the bearing maybe? I've fixed a lot of things on my truck but ac isn't my specialty

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Yea if it locked up you'll need a new compressor.

You'll also have to flush the lines because it may or may not have sent metal shavings through the lines.

When it happened to me I shut it off within 5 seconds of it locking up and I had virtually no shavings in mine.
But I went ahead and replaced the orifice tube and accumulator along with the compressor.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea if it locked up you'll need a new compressor.

You'll also have to flush the lines because it may or may not have sent metal shavings through the lines.

When it happened to me I shut it off within 5 seconds of it locking up and I had virtually no shavings in mine.
But I went ahead and replaced the orifice tube and accumulator along with the compressor.

Yep! A lot of folks say replace the condenser too. Either way, make sure you evacuate the system with a vacuum pump for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Suck it down to ~-28" then shut off the pump and ensure it holds a vacuum.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you clean out your system good. Mine locked up several years ago and I had a mess of aluminum in it. I went through 2 cans of cleaner and blew everything out with my air compressor, (both coils and all the lines.) Replace everything else.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you’re doing it all, maybe think of replacing the hoses as well. They’re not too expensive so, except for the evaporator, you’d pretty much have a new system.

You’d also have the low pressure cycling switch on the side of the accumulator and the two switches on the compressor. Either buy new ones or swap them over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t forget about the O rings as well. They will sell you a little bag full and use whatever size you need. You will have plenty left over. And don’t forget to put fresh refrigerant oil (PAG oil) in the suction side of the compressor before you put it on.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so my question now is can I go ahead and install all new components myself but get it charged at the shop? I wouldn't run the AC of course just have it hooked up but it all seems pretty easy to do and I'd hate to give the mechanic money to do somethin simple I could've done

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can do that.

The compressor won’t kick on since the low pressure switch will be tripped, so don’t worry about running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk