Compass/Temp mirror not showing temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 1995 Tahoe, the mirror has 3 settings "Off,M, C/M" . I know the C/M is the compass, so I'm guessing the "M" is the temperature after looking around on here. When I put the switch on the "M", the LED readout goes blank. The compass setting works properly. I have checked my fuse panel and all of them are fine. Does this sound like the temp probe is bad/unplugged or is there another possible problem?

Thanks in advance. I know I'm asking alot of questions lately but this truck has many varied problems. None of them have been major mechanical problems nor have they been HUGE problems as of yet but death by papercuts is still death nonetheless.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not a compass/temp mirror. That's the 95 only compass only mirror. Off is off obviously, "M" is mirror only, and "C/M" is compass and mirror. No temp. I have no idea why there is both a "mirror" and an "off" setting. Essentially they do the same thing. The only thing I can think of is maybe the "Off" turns off the auto dim?? No idea to be honest. Our '95 Burb has one and it's the only one I've ever seen.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not a compass/temp mirror. That's the 95 only compass only mirror. Off is off obviously, "M" is mirror only, and "C/M" is compass and mirror. No temp. I have no idea why there is both a "mirror" and an "off" setting. Essentially they do the same thing. The only thing I can think of is maybe the "Off" turns off the auto dim?? No idea to be honest. Our '95 Burb has one and it's the only one I've ever seen.

If the true "Off" turns off the auto dim feature and compass, and the "M" turns off the compass(Never drove with it turned completely off to test it), that would make sense. It'd make more sense than using "M" to stand for temperature. :anitoof: At this point, rather than being mad that I don't have the temp feature, I'm happy that its working correctly and I can spend my money and efforts elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up on that. I feel like an idiot thinking it was the temp feature but I haven't seen any mention of the ******* child of a mirror setup like we have so I just assumed I had the Temp. (We all know what happens when we start assuming.....)

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
If the true "Off" turns off the auto dim feature and compass, and the "M" turns off the compass(Never drove with it turned completely off to test it), that would make sense. It'd make more sense than using "M" to stand for temperature. :anitoof: At this point, rather than being mad that I don't have the temp feature, I'm happy that its working correctly and I can spend my money and efforts elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up on that. I feel like an idiot thinking it was the temp feature but I haven't seen any mention of the ******* child of a mirror setup like we have so I just assumed I had the Temp. (We all know what happens when we start assuming.....)

'95 was the year of many one off items. Aside from that mirror, the 60/40 bench with no storage console, the HVAC controller, the ash tray/12v outlet set-up are a few I can think of off the top of my head (I think the trans might be as well). We own 2 '95 GMT400's. The '95 Burb and my brother's '95 GMC K1500 ECSB. It's been quite a learning experience when it comes to finding parts sometimes.

There were also compass only mirrors in the 96+ years as well. Same style as the compass/temp, but the button said "mirror" instead of "temp".

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just get the temp/com mirror and the probe,wiring at jnk yrd i even put this in my dodge van can't live without the temp after putting one in my 95.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 00 obs has a compass only mirror its the same as what your describing

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a compass only mirror in a 98 in a yard. didn't realize until i got home with it. funny thing is, when you put power to it and it tests the display all the stuff needed for the temp display is present. im wondering if there is a way to hack into it and make it do what you want seeing as it has all the pins of the compass temp mirror i got from a newer truck that is turning out to have a problem with the temp working for a minute and then reading -33 with 3 different probes