Collapsed Lifters 95 GenV Big Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
So,was hearing very noisy lifters,almost to a loud clatter.Removed the valve covers and was about to try to adjust them(I had already converted the rocker studs to adjustable type years ago)and with a mechanic friends help we found two collapsed lifters,bummer.My question is is it OK to replace the lifters only or do I need to do a cam swap also.The current cam and lifters are ones I installed in 2012 and have about 75,000 miles on them.I did oil changes every 3,000-4,000 with 10W-30 Castrol conventional oil.
I'll be removing the intake manifold soon to see if there's any damage anywhere,too check the size of the lifters and to see if there is any cam damage.

Thoughts?

Forgot to mention...the cam & lifters are from Comp Cams

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be removing the intake manifold soon to see if there's any damage anywhere,too check the size of the lifters and to see if there is any cam damage.

Thoughts?
Page 13 post 126 is where I started my recent lifter experience...There is a lot of extremely valuable information in the posts prior as well.
My lifters were full of nasty very hard and caked resin. Not just varnish.....and that pic is after some cleaning...
They all pumped up like new afterwards....ymmv

Attachments

• IMG20240311140127_01.jpg
    IMG20240311140127_01.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 8

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Page 13 post 126 is where I started my recent lifter experience...There is a lot of extremely valuable information in the posts prior as well.
My lifters were full of nasty very hard and caked resin. Not just varnish.....and that pic is after some cleaning...
They all pumped up like new afterwards....ymmv
Thanks for the reply,I read a lot of that post,very interesting.My next step is to remove the intake manifold so I can remove the suspected lifters and go from there.

The only problem is that suckers heavy (

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flat tappet
If the cam and lifter contact surfaces are still in good condition, I would definitely try to just disassemble and clean the heck out of them. If the cam lobe is in good condition and the lifter is damaged or can't be cleaned up, I would just replace the collapsed lifters and then make sure you do appropriate break-in. I wouldn't replace a good cam. If you are disassembling lifters to clean them, do all of them.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, when you pull the lifters look at the bottom of them for excessive wear.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So,was hearing very noisy lifters,almost to a loud clatter.Removed the valve covers and was about to try to adjust them(I had already converted the rocker studs to adjustable type years ago)and with a mechanic friends help we found two collapsed lifters,bummer.My question is is it OK to replace the lifters only or do I need to do a cam swap also.The current cam and lifters are ones I installed in 2012 and have about 75,000 miles on them.I did oil changes every 3,000-4,000 with 10W-30 Castrol conventional oil.

Thoughts?

Forgot to mention...the cam & lifters are from Comp Cams

Greetings grampadirt,

Some lifter noises can be fixed with a good cleaning, while other noises will require parts replacement.
The good news is that a collapsed lifter caused by stuck internals is in the former category.

To be a little more specific, here's a good photo of a disassembled lifter:

You must be registered for see images attach

In order to understand where the noise is coming from, the lifter body's position is set by the cam lobe.

The inner plunger sets the position of the pushrod. As long as the plunger can move freely inside the
lifter body while the lifter travels from the top of the cam lobe back to the base circle (valve closing), then it
is this freedom of movement which allows the mechanism to take up any excess clearance in the
pushrod > rocker arm > valve tip areas.

But by the same token, in order for the same hydraulic lifter to stiffen up and act like a 'solid lifter' (due to
the incompressability of oil) during the valve opening cycle (ie: from lifter base circle to the top of the cam lobe)
now it's critical for the check valve to seat completely. If it doesn't, then again there will be excess play when the lifter
collapses due to the opposing force from the big valve spring.

In English, debris & accumulated varnish can lead to 'frozen' internal parts, and cause ticky/sticky/collapsed lifters.

With any luck, you will look for and *not* find any excessive wear on the exterior surfaces of the hydraulic lifters
and cam lobes. This will then allow you to carefully disassemble & clean the interior bits, put it all back together,
and then hopefully these parts will 'take' a careful preload adjustment. (Similar to scott2093's post referenced above.)

Please keep us updated as to your progress and what you discover.

Best of luck --

Let

Last edited: