Cold start-up stumble. Fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been chasing a stumble when I first start my truck, (90 C1500, 5.0) for a year now, and when I say I've replaced everything, I mean everything. It would start great but if I tried to just throw it in gear and go, it would want to stumble. Leave it run for a minute and it would run fine for the rest of the day.
Last weekend I was getting it ready for the winter and noticed an unusual build-up of gunk on my positive battery cable. I give them a clean every year but this time I really went at it. I cut some of the plastic away from the side that meets the battery so I could peel it back and get a wire brush on a dremel to it and buffed it till it was shiny as a mirror on both sides. I put it back on and now my truck not only starts better, but the miss is completely gone! It starts and runs like new. I have no idea why, unless it just wasn't getting enough power before, but I am happy now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Every time someone starts a post explaining that their truck is acting almost like it has a gremlin in it. Symptoms that don't add up all over the board, problems that they just can't seem to trace, you can almost guarantee that it's one of 2 things. A grounding problem, or an vacuum problem.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Agreed! The wiring on these trucks is now a minimum of 15 years old. Do 'The Big Three'! It'll solve a lot of the gremlins creeping into these trucks as they age.