CODE PO300 Random Misfire Detected - @ Wits End!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, here it is 1999 Tahoe 2DR, 2WD, L31 Vortec! Modifications include Volant Cold Air Intake (15957), JBA Competition-Ready Headers (6830SJT), TWG High Flow Catalytic Converters, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler, Complete 2 ½” Dual Exhaust with H-pipe and a Black Bear Performance Tune!

This past week in order to remedy the problem I installed ACDelco Distributor Cap, Rotor Bug, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs and Summit 8mm Wires! I’ve even used a can of starter fluid to check the intake for leaks! No leaks!

Any help would be appreciated!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, here it is 1999 Tahoe 2DR, 2WD, L31 Vortec! Modifications include Volant Cold Air Intake (15957), JBA Competition-Ready Headers (6830SJT), TWG High Flow Catalytic Converters, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler, Complete 2 ½” Dual Exhaust with H-pipe and a Black Bear Performance Tune!

This past week in order to remedy the problem I installed ACDelco Distributor Cap, Rotor Bug, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs and Summit 8mm Wires! I’ve even used a can of starter fluid to check the intake for leaks! No leaks!

Any help would be appreciated!
Hook up the scanner: what cylinders are misfiring? is it limited to one bank, or across both banks? Is it at startup, or after the O2 sensors warm up and it goes into closed loop?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hook up the scanner: what cylinders are misfiring? is it limited to one bank, or across both banks? Is it at startup, or after the O2 sensors warm up and it goes into closed loop?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Yes!

Need to narrow it down to engine bank/cylinder.

Check vacuum with vacuum guage. Could also be intermittent sticky injectors. Do injector balance test.

Check fuel trims on scanner. If fuel trim gets better with increase in RPM, then most likely vacuum leak. If fuel trims stay bad with increase in RPM, then most likely injectors.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a REAL P0300; or is your scan tool a lying bastage? Cheap-junk "consumer" tools may list generic codes instead of specific codes. They'll take a "real" P0305 for example, and display P0300. Are you getting the REAL code, or the generic substitute code?

What is the cranking compression of all eight?

What is the distributor (cam sensor) offset figure, in degrees?

Will the ignition coil RELIABLY fire an HEI spark-tester?

How old are the O2 sensors?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be bad new parts. Try old cap/new rotor...old rotor/new cap, swap the Volant for the stock intake, etc. Sometimes it is very simple, on my 94 Tbi truck I found a little oil on a spark plug used a defouler and it solved a misfire/poor running truck.
I agree with @Schurkey on finding out which bank(s) are misfiring, and if it is due to cam offset I recommend the Dash Command app.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a "Cylinder Balance Test." It is fairly easy to perform with a test light. This should reveal the missing cylinder and go from there
IF (big IF) this is a hard misfire, the code wouldn't be P0300. A cylinder-balance test would pick it up easily.

IF (big IF) this is a genuinely-random misfire, the code would be what we were told it is--P0300--and a cylinder balance test may or may not pick it up. In fact, a cylinder balance test could lead you on a wild goose chase by improperly identifying a specific cylinder when the problem is...random.

Thus it would be nice to know if the scan tool used to generate the P0300 is a consumer-grade piece of crap, or a decent, trustworthy tool.