Clunking on deceleration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the best I can for the video I noticed that before it makes the clunk it looks like my driveshaft starts to spin then clunks like it’s taking up slack somewhere in the system
Also ignore the red that’s either the grease or some transmission fluid from when I pulled my driveshaft out on a slight angle
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got to pondering on the subject and came up with this idea. Would it be possible that since I have a new transfer case but the factory transmission, is it possible that I’ve developed the clunk between the output of the trans and input of my transfer case? That seems to make sense as to why it’s like the driveshaft is loading up then clunking and it would also seem like since I have the factory trans output shaft that those splines would be worn slightly and don’t mate perfectly with the brand new input on the transfer case. Correct me if I’m wrong

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does seem like there’s definitely more showing than mine.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a thought... does your model truck have torsion bar front suspension? I had a 2004 Suburban 2500 that used to clunk like this when you put it in reverse. Turned out that the bushings on the torsion bar mount, where it connects with the frame, were bad on the left side.