Climate control goes haywire!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started my truck to let it warm up and came back and noticed my temperature control going crazy. Everything was lighting up and going back and fourth. I just bought a replacement a couple weeks ago because all my mounts were broke and had no problem. Any ideas?
attachment.php

This is what I bought

88-90 CHEVY SILVERADO GMC 1500 TRUCK DIGITAL CLIMATE AC CONTROL TEMP HEATER A/C

http://bit.ly/TDHLy4

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never personally had it happen to me, but these parts do seem to fail every now and then.

Was your previous one doing the exact same thing. I've never seen one with that button arrangement though. I wonder, if you stuck one in from a 1992-1994 model, what would happen. They are identical, save for the "REC." Button.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's identical to the one I had in there! On the old one buttons would stick and have to push a few times before it would work and all my mounts were broke, other than that it was okay. The new one I bought worked good and had no problem until last night!

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, what I meant was, if you swapped in a different one (with the REC. button, for example) if it would work. Those seem to be more reliable. Not sure if better components were used or what, but I've never seen one fail.

The fact is, these trucks are getting old. The life of most of these electronic components is 15 years. In another 10 years, I bet most of them won't work at all.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would of but I thought since it wasn't identical it wouldnt work or work right. Do you think it's the harness that plugS in to the back? I wish I could figure it out!

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, the harness isn't the problem, it's the circuit board inside the heater control.

It has capacitors, resistors, relays, etc. etc. that simply wear out due to time, heat, voltage fluctuations, humidity, etc. etc.

Capacitors lose capacitance, resistors drift out of tolerance, it happens. I would say go on and recap it and see if that fixes it, but these are so plentiful (well, maybe not yours...) I'd just get another and swap it out.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go and recap it? That sucks considering I just spent a 100 on it! In our junkyards most of the good I need is always gone, so if when you guys go could you look for some decent ones?!

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
My factory one does it all the time. I just play it off by saying it's jamming to the music. On mine, when it's doing that, if I want to stop it, I just push pretty much any button and it stops

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can get mine to do it too sometimes but not all! Good excuse though!

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I took the new one I just bought out and put my old original one in. Mine also seems to do it now(never before)! Idk if me messing with the wires did something, but in the 9+ years I've had the truck I've never had it do that.

Also, do they sell the complete harness for this or can I replace the black piece? The lock clip piece on top broke when trying to put the old one back in!
You must be registered for see images attach