Clearcoat said goodbye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess southern trucks don't do cold very well. Woke up yesterday to my truck covered in ice, melted off around 10am or so. On the way home I watched the clearcoat peel off my hood, most of it in 10x10 inch sheets. The entire top layer of the hood and a lot of smaller pieces scattered around on the doors and fenders. About half of whats left has separated and looks like huge bubbles.

Temperature related? Or maybe it was just time to go.
Havent had truck long (3-4 months) so can't speak for the past, but when I bought it I completely detailed it inside and out, and it gets hand waxed monthly. Not a show truck by any means, but it looks great for a huntin ride.
Clearcoat was 100% when it got washed 3 days before these pics. Never seen paint do this. Not sure if this is factory paint or not.
You must be registered for see images

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Peeling clear coat is not an unusual occurance.

But good one day and then going to crap the next all over the truck sure is unusual.

Can't see a little cold weather causing it, but weirder things have happened....

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pass side front/rear door just started losing the clear. Talked to a shop and they said only way to fix it is to repaint and clear it again. Sucks !!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, an update after 7-8mo of blistering S.Ga sun.

After the clear disappeared I started noticing more and more paint on my microfiber cloths when I wax (expected with no clear). But now my bed and front fenders are more orange than red, the cab,doors and inside the bed are all red still. Hard to tell unless the sun and angle is just right, but it's different. Add to that the uneven Z71 decals and I'm going with a repaint in the past. They did a good job, just didn't use good paint maybe.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Clear will peel like that if applied over a base coat that has not flashed off properly. The clear starts to skin over before the solvents are finished evaporating. Once there is a chip or scratch in the clear down to the base this trapped layer of solvent evaporates, leaving a space between the base and clear, and it's all down hill from there.

Reaction score
Clear will peel like that if applied over a base coat that has not flashed off properly. The clear starts to skin over before the solvents are finished evaporating. Once there is a chip or scratch in the clear down to the base this trapped layer of solvent evaporates, leaving a space between the base and clear, and it's all down hill from there.

pretty well sums it up. Every time that I can recall that I've heard of a paint job failing that quickly, it came back to the painter not following the tech sheets (instructions for painters). I've seen plenty of older paint jobs fail, especially OEM paint, but that's a slow, gradual process.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now it holds water when it rains, pretty cool. Not really.

Maybe some day I will aim a paint gun at it. Until then I'm just gonna keep watching it peel and flake off.