clear lights or black lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midnightblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well im going to smoke the corners, but id sell the headlights and the park lights. the park lights are a month old...

semiguy409

The Big Rigger
Reaction score
Jake, how do you like your headlights? i had a set, not sure if it was the same ones as you but it was black on the sides with the chrome. The light outpoint SUCKED! i had next to no lights! i bought HIDs, plus the 4hi mod... so hopefully that will help. But i would like to buy a new set... so im thinking about buying these ones again...

I like them, the light output isn't terrible, but it also isn't the best out there. I love the way they look.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I would leave the side marker lights alone, but change the headlights to either. Changing the side markers to something way different from stock makes these trucks look tacky

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yes, by all means black the lights and cut down on the light output so it looks "cooler".....:)

Seriously though, I do get the black out and smoke look. I've done it before.

But I gave up on it when I came to the realization that lights were actually mean to illuminate things. Any black tint just cuts down on that function.

I went to doing HID retrofits (real retrofits, OEM projectors and all) and never looked back.....much batter, much safer.

Same with running lights, they stay all DOT colors for me.

YMMV.

:)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Did you do a post about the OEM Projector retro?

Nothing like a how to or anything. I believe there's some info in my build thread.

Specs are Acura TSX projectors in aftermarket clear headlight housings.

Basically gutted the housing to put the projectors in.

Then slim line ballasts and D2S capsules. I went cheap with eBay stuff since money was/is short. When I get a chance, I'll pick up some proper Phillips 85122+ capsules and some OEM quality ballasts.

Mix in my own harness kit with 12 gauge wiring, appropriate relays, a quick home brew 4 HI and you're done.

If I had it to do again, Id probably pick the clear housings in chrome vice black:

You must be registered for see images attach

But the black made it very easy to modify them and get the TSX projectors in. Chrome surrounds are so bloody hard not to scratch up.

Oddly enough, once I got the cheap as crap "chin chin" lenses out the TSX housing projector lens fit perfectly. The rest of the housing had to be totally hacked to smithereens and rebuilt though.

That pic is old, I've since modified the mounting so they don't "sink in" at the grill opening. They now sit flush like OEM's.

Last edited:

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Awesome. Looks really good. I will have to agree with you on clear/chrome housings though.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk