Cleaned up Engine Bay.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With that being said, I drive it daily.

LOL well it's not considered really losing the drive-ability I guess if you prefer the loping. I understand what you're going for with this truck but I was just curious how it is day to day. I've never ever had to mess with a carbureted vehicle, other than my commercial mowers :D Got to love the simplicity. Btw, can you clarify? The vortec heads on a TBI WILL need an aftermarket intake manifold right? Also, if I did the heads and intake, what else should be done in conjunction with that. I'd love to tear into the engine but since this is no project truck, but a DD, I have to make sure everything I do all works in conjunction with each other like it's supposed to and "strengthening one aspect of the engine is weakening the other" type of thing.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I should also mention, another reason i went carb, is that i already have a 1987 F150 XLT Lariat, it has a 306, Balanced and blueprinted, Dart heads, Big healthy Cam (Not sure what cam it is off top of my head, thats has been converted from Speed Denisty-MAF and is running a Mustang Cobra PCM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00wHzyOXWNs

Complete Sleeper and my Winter DD

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

PS, I have replaced the box..

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
LOL well it's not considered really losing the drive-ability I guess if you prefer the loping. I understand what you're going for with this truck but I was just curious how it is day to day. I've never ever had to mess with a carbureted vehicle, other than my commercial mowers :D Got to love the simplicity. Btw, can you clarify? The vortec heads on a TBI WILL need an aftermarket intake manifold right? Also, if I did the heads and intake, what else should be done in conjunction with that. I'd love to tear into the engine but since this is no project truck, but a DD, I have to make sure everything I do all works in conjunction with each other like it's supposed to and "strengthening one aspect of the engine is weakening the other" type of thing.
If you want to keep it legal, GMPP is the ONLY place to get a Vortec-TBI intake, and the Vortec heads REQUIRE a specific intake.

I would throw the vortec heads on, GMPP intake and some 1.6:1 roller rockers. Should have plenty of pep and add another 60HP or so

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay. is GMPP GM performance parts? If they only make 1 intake specifically for it, won't they all be the same? Regardless if buying from GMPP or ebay? That little mod list sounds good for 60 HP. I'd like to do those, a throttle body spacer (just for the hell of it, and the little whistle lol) some headers that would go good with it, and would I need to upgrade the cam at this point or would stock be okay? I've heard these TBI cams are a joke. Also, with the upgraded rocker arms would I need to change the valving or anything else. The heads intake and rockers will all work without weakening any other aspects of the internals

Last edited: