Cleaned up Engine Bay.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
You've never sat in this truck then:

You must be registered for see images

While back in the day there was no substitute for displacement and raw power, nowadays through technology and better understanding of what REALLY makes a drivetrain combination powerful there's no use for such old technology. 30 years ago it was unthinkable to have a slightly modified truck running 10s in the 1/4, now they're easily build able. Infact there's a well known little blue NBS that does it with only a cammed 5.3L.

You can have all the torque in the world, but unless it's matched to the proper gearing it's useless. Not to mention the weight disadvantage. A modern LS 6L with a fairly aggressive cam and otherwise stock components will make your jaw drop when it's tuned properly and matched with a torque converter that utilizes all of said power. It's quite amazing really. Guys are building 500+ hp engines all day long on less than a $1500 budget. The blue truck pictured above only had an LQ9 with a fairly streetable cam, but was tuned to near perfection. It WOULD run rings around any N/A 427 combination of yesteryear, and get 21mpg while doing it. :read:

I was with you until you made the second paragraph . I run at the track almost every weekend and there no way a stock 6.0 runs 10's. If that is what your buddy telling you . He must have some hell of fishing story. Ls base motor are great but they have there limit just like any other motor.

Cam,tune,stall,gear, so is far from a stock 6.0... If that is stock then my dart 422 sbc is stock.

Last edited:

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm so torn. I LOVE my tbi for it's simplicity and reliability. It's no hp but all torque and that's what I'm all about is the Torque. I know I want to do mods to help the engine do it's job better but not trying to race anyone...Examples of mods I can think of is E-fans..Tranny cooler, headers....and being able to tune my engine would be huge but I think us TBI guys are screwed in that area.

FastOrange, did you loose any drive-ability of the truck going carbed? Is it hard to start sometimes and in the winter or does it ever stall?

For the LS guys, I completely agree. My truck has an LQ4 6L in it's future FOR SURE. I'm bout to run out of exterior crap to do.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'm so torn. I LOVE my tbi for it's simplicity and reliability. It's no hp but all torque and that's what I'm all about is the Torque. I know I want to do mods to help the engine do it's job better but not trying to race anyone...Examples of mods I can think of is E-fans..Tranny cooler, headers....and being able to tune my engine would be huge but I think us TBI guys are screwed in that area.

FastOrange, did you loose any drive-ability of the truck going carbed? Is it hard to start sometimes and in the winter or does it ever stall?

For the LS guys, I completely agree. My truck has an LQ4 6L in it's future FOR SURE. I'm bout to run out of exterior crap to do.

IMO, e-fans are pointless. First, it's just one more thing to go wrong. A mechanically driven fan has far fewer fail points than an e-fan. Second, the 1 or MAYBE 2 hp you gain isn't going to do anything.
Vortec heads flow better, but I don't know if they're legal in your state. I'm almost certain they aren't legal here. Sounds like you're on the same page as me though, I'm going more for stuff to make it easier for the engine. CAI, intake manifold, heads, headers, exhaust, and a tune. Anyone know the kind of numbers you could expect out of a 5.7 with all that stuff? Just a rough ballpark, obviously because it is impossible to know for sure without knowing specifics.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
IMO, e-fans are pointless. First, it's just one more thing to go wrong. A mechanically driven fan has far fewer fail points than an e-fan. Second, the 1 or MAYBE 2 hp you gain isn't going to do anything.
Vortec heads flow better, but I don't know if they're legal in your state. I'm almost certain they aren't legal here. Sounds like you're on the same page as me though, I'm going more for stuff to make it easier for the engine. CAI, intake manifold, heads, headers, exhaust, and a tune. Anyone know the kind of numbers you could expect out of a 5.7 with all that stuff? Just a rough ballpark, obviously because it is impossible to know for sure without knowing specifics.

A few years ago hp power tv built a 1990 truck. They dyno the motor stock at 190 rwh and then ran the dyno after every mod. Try to fine this show for you

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
any truck or burb, tahoe, 1/2 3/4 1 ton have vortec heads on them there GM OEM heads so why wouldnt they be???

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gmcyukon, you TBI or vortec? I haven't heard anything about vortec heads being illegal in TN? Doubt it but I do have to go through inspection so would they pose a problem there? I too would like to do the CAI, heads and intake would have to be done at the same time, and already got true duals with cats so it's flowing pretty good. I'd also like to do a nice SOLID header, but it seems like alot of people have leakage problems...See the problem is really that I want to throw money at it and make it better, but alot of time I read that guys go changing stuff up it causes more problems and I want to do things in conjunction with another like if you get a mild cam wouldn't you need to do other things as well..I usually come to the same conclusion, I can only take a 5.7 TBI so far and even then it's still a 350 TBI....maybe it'd be better and wait for the LQ4.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gmcyukon, you TBI or vortec? I haven't heard anything about vortec heads being illegal in TN? Doubt it but I do have to go through inspection so would they pose a problem there? I too would like to do the CAI, heads and intake would have to be done at the same time, and already got true duals with cats so it's flowing pretty good. I'd also like to do a nice SOLID header, but it seems like alot of people have leakage problems...See the problem is really that I want to throw money at it and make it better, but alot of time I read that guys go changing stuff up it causes more problems and I want to do things in conjunction with another like if you get a mild cam wouldn't you need to do other things as well..I usually come to the same conclusion, I can only take a 5.7 TBI so far and even then it's still a 350 TBI....maybe it'd be better and wait for the LQ4.

if you get the right header and bolts you will not have a problem... i like schoenfeld headers, just used high heat lock tight on the bolts... also insted of getting the old collector gasket go with the new ball flange style..