Cigarette Lighter blows its fuse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
View media item 31910Bought a 2000 Chevrolet C3500 a few years ago, and the lighter wasn't working when I got it. I found that the 20A fuse was blown, so I replaced it with one of the spares, which promptly blew as well. So I figured the socket was probably bad, as it looked grungy inside. I let it go and simply tossed a Bic in the dash storage cubby and use that instead. The power outlets on either side of the lighter both work, as they've on a different fuse, so I charge my phone and Motorola Roadster with those. Last week the light bulb in the ashtray quit, so I figured that if I was going to pull the ashtray assembly to replace the bulb, I might as well replace the lighter socket as well. The local Chevy dealer wanted $27 + tax for one, so I ordered one on Amazon for $19.94 instead, still kind of crazy expensive fo a simple lighter socket. I installed it the other day, replaced the fuse, and the lighter worked twice, then the fuse blew yet again. Any suggestions on where to look for a possible short or other cause?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Did you replace the actual cigarette lighter also or is that still the same one? (the thing that goes inside that socket)

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The actual lighter is new, but I don't remember whether or not it's a GM OEM part, I might've picked it up from AutoZone or Pep Boys shortly after I got the truck and first tried the original socket. Maybe I should round up an OEM unit, probably made by Casco like the socket. Too bad I can't just grab a lighter out of my wife's car to test with, her 2015 Subaru Forester XT didn't come with one!

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try that when I round up some more 20A fuses. The last fuse that blew was the only spare 25A that was stored in the fuse box cover, the only one left there now is a 5A. Thanks for the suggestion! I thought that it was weird that the new socket worked fine twice before blowing the 25A fuse.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If it's the same lighter I bet thats the issue. I wonder how those things last as long as they do anyway with the abuse they take.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before I ordered the new GM OEM socket from Amazon, I called AutoZone and had them round up what they said was the compatible replacement. According to Dorman, this is what's supposed to work in a 2000 C3500. Can you imagine the gaping hole in my ashtray assembly that I would've been left with if I'd tried extracting my old socket with their removal tool?
You must be registered for see images attach

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my socket with a USB port a while back. I was unaware there even is a removal tool. I just used a small cut off wheel on a Dremel to trim away the lip on the end of the socket. Mine was blowing fuses too but I never did figure out why.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting some new 20 Amp fuses, and for good measure, I also got a new-in-bag OEM GM Lighter, Part # 23202298. It's working so far, I'll definitely post again if the new lighter blows its fuse.

You must be registered for see images attach

The lighter that was blowing fuses in the new socket wasn't OEM, it was either in the truck when I bought it used or was one that I got from Pep Boys or AutoZone to use with the old socket, don't remember at this point..

Last edited: