Chevrolet c1500 1989 reverse light switch adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saftarz

Reaction score
Hey! I've been trying to adjust my reverse light switch on the steering column since i i have to hold the shifter up in reverse to get the reverse lights to turn on.

I set the vehicle in reverse and adjust the switch until they turn on. But then when i go back to parking i have to kinda force it a bit for it to go in park, and as i do that the switch adjusts back to where it was before :/

Does that mean that my switch could be bad or is there another issue? Would appreciate some help :)

Thanks!

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey! I've been trying to adjust my reverse light switch on the steering column since i i have to hold the shifter up in reverse to get the reverse lights to turn on.

I set the vehicle in reverse and adjust the switch until they turn on. But then when i go back to parking i have to kinda force it a bit for it to go in park, and as i do that the switch adjusts back to where it was before :/

Does that mean that my switch could be bad or is there another issue? Would appreciate some help :)

Thanks!
I have to push mine toward park to get the lights to turn on also, but I don't have to hold it. I'm interested in a solution also.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Guess: Switch worn-out/damaged.

The reverse light switch is integrated into the neutral safety switch assembly.

You must be registered for see images attach

The replacement switch had an additional contact, but it doesn't interfere with anything even if it's not actually used.

Saftarz

Reaction score
I was kinda guessing that i had to replace it aswell, just haven't read about exactly my problem before. Thanks for the help guys, i'll post an update once i have replaced it

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this located on the transmission or in the steering column?