Checking codes- dumb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I've read all over the place about how to check engine codes. My check engine light has been coming on intermittently the past couple times I've driven it. I get how to check the codes with a jumper wire, but here's my dumb question- where does the number of the code display? i.e. how do you know which number code is being pulled? Is there a spot on the dash where the number lights up? It's an 89 k1500 cheyenne, 350tbi.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just fixed a rough idle problem with my 1990. I replaced the Idle air control motor and cleaned the throttle body while I had it off the truck.

The IAC and TPS bolts were stuck so bad that I had no choice but to snap them off and drill them out. I tried heat and was real gentle with them, but they were stuck beyond hope. That is simply a warning to you. I also found one of the TPS wires had been nibbled by a mouse. There were only two tiny copper strands left intact. I fixed that wire with solder. I'm really not sure which repair I tried fixed the idle, but it cleared up 95% of my rough idle and dropped the idle by 200-300 RPM. I was idling at 800-900 rpm, and now it idles at a consistent 500-600 rpm.

I have an ultra sonic cleaner at work that I used to clean the entire throttle body. If you are in a good size town, chances are some shop has an ultra sonic cleaner. I recommend cleaning the TB that way.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been working on some mouse chewed wires myself. the woes of an old farm truck.

Based on the reading i've been doing on this code, I'm suspecting the CTS. My truck takes several revolutions to start up when cold, but then idles great. It's only after it gets warm that it starts idling poorly. Makes sense that it would be a temperature related thing if it only idles poorly when warm. I'm going to do the CTS and a Thermostat I have that just haven't gotten around to replacing. If this doesn't fix it, I'm going to rebuild the throttle body, those kits are really cheap.

The entire ignition system has been replaced- BWD coil, AC deco distributor, AC Delco plugs, BDW wires. It died on me a couple times on my last trip, but I'm pretty sure that was just because the plug that carries the signal to the coil was loose from when it was replaced. Truck runs really great other than at idle. Plenty of power, and getting around 15-17 mpg.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i replaced my CTS, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! It idles like a brand new car, no miss, no shimmy, just smooth as can be! I'm FINALLY done tinkering with getting this think to run perfect!