Check your pvc grommet!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I replaced mine about a year ago. The old one wasn't as bad as it could have been but it wasn't holding the PCV valve as well as it should. I found the GM part number online, and bought one through ebay. The OEM line isn't available for the 454, so I used the proper rated bulk hose.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What did it run like before?

When those grommets leak, you will often get symptoms of a very mild vacuum leak. Only thing I ever noticed was a marginally smoother idle going from a basically missing grommet to a new one. Valve covers that weren't covered in oil was a much bigger improvement to me.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did and found it was stretched and not sealing to the valve. The valve was dirty but was not stuck.Replaced the grommet and the tube kit w both boots and the pvc from oriellys for $20.My truck is running much better now.
If that tube was made by Dorman (Motormite/Help!/etc.) - when it starts running funny again, check the tube you bought and discover the boots have melted due to oil vapor exposure. Crummy rubber compound. :(

Richard

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that tube was made by Dorman (Motormite/Help!/etc.) - when it starts running funny again, check the tube you bought and discover the boots have melted due to oil vapor exposure. Crummy rubber compound. :(

Richard

ACDelco and comes w an ACD PVC

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...8/chevrolet/k1500-pickup-4wd?q=12555694&pos=0

I also got the Standard grommet, I try to stay away from Dorman.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...hevrolet/k1500-pickup-4wd?q=pcv+valve+grommet

Last edited:

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What did it run like before?

Sluggish, had to put more peddle down to get it to downshift it took longer to get to highway speeds. Now it downshifts faster w less peddle, accelerates and gets to 70+ faster w less peddle than before.
I also got about 2 more mpg with the last fill up. I'm sure the next time the mpgs will be better because I aired up the tires to 40 f/38 rear. It rides better and the tires don't shake as much over bumps and potholes.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, replacing the grommet made the truck run better. Your intake has a port that allows engine vacuum to draw your engine's blowby out of your valve covers, and if the PCV valve doesn't seal well you get a vacuum leak.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
To the OP

PVC = Polyvinyl Chloride (plastic pipes in your house)

PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation (what you mean to say)