Cheap overhaul?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 5.7 with 220k miles. It runs great, and has good compression. I have a few oil leaks that I'd like to address. If I pull the engine to reseal everything, I know I'll end up going deeper, since I invented "while I'm there". Has anyone here done a simple (cheap) ring and bearing job on a Vortec? I've read online where these with high mileage often still have good cylinder walls. Cleaning up everything should help.

Part of me says to leave well enough alone. Part of me says that I can only make it worse. Part of me says that sprucing things up may help me coax some more life out of the old girl.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 5.7 with 220k miles. It runs great, and has good compression. I have a few oil leaks that I'd like to address. If I pull the engine to reseal everything, I know I'll end up going deeper, since I invented "while I'm there". Has anyone here done a simple (cheap) ring and bearing job on a Vortec? I've read online where these with high mileage often still have good cylinder walls. Cleaning up everything should help.

Part of me says to leave well enough alone. Part of me says that I can only make it worse. Part of me says that sprucing things up may help me coax some more life out of the old girl.

I get you with the "while I'm there", so at the risk of being a hypocrite, I say that if it has good compression then why would you want to go after the rings. . . Isn't there enough to do with oil pan gaskets, main seals, timing chain cover gaskets, cam seal, valve seals, and of course painting the engine?

If you are still convinced, you could throw a brush hone down the bores and I don't think bearing kits are too expensive.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I get you with the "while I'm there", so at the risk of being a hypocrite, I say that if it has good compression then why would you want to go after the rings. . . Isn't there enough to do with oil pan gaskets, main seals, timing chain cover gaskets, cam seal, valve seals, and of course painting the engine?

If you are still convinced, you could throw a brush hone down the bores and I don't think bearing kits are too expensive.

That's the thing I'm trying to talk my way into or out of. If I yank the engine, I know I'll do a benchtop head cleanup and valve seals. I'd have to do the injector upgrade then. I'd stab a 395 cam in with a new timing set. Just wondering about rings and bearings...while I'm there.

I've done these overhauls before on several engines, but not on a vortec. Kind of just wondering what people were finding the shape of the cylinders and crank when they got in.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems to be bearing knock that gets most of these high mileage vortecs. I'd be sure to put new bearings in.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
It seems to be bearing knock that gets most of these high mileage vortecs. I'd be sure to put new bearings in.
And something like this is exactly why I know I’ll end up overhauling the whole engine. It’s not really much more money or work once you are that far in

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And... There is something about that feeling you get when you know that you've done it right, and yourself.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'd love to keep this truck on the road for many more years. The body and interior are in good shape. The oil leaks aren't major, but I'd like to get it sealed. Plugs are looking great and compression is good. I am adding a quart of oil about every 1000 miles. Im thinking leaks and stuck rings are the culprit. I'm still getting a little part throttle spark knock which I think is carbon (I've done the Seafoam, and it's much better).

I'm thinking a freshening up, a little cam, and a good cleaning up will buy me a little more life.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Knowing my own personality I don't think I could do that much work and not do the rings, bearings, timing chain and a valve job. Deglaze the cylinders, clean everything up, have the crank journals checked for wear and fit new bearings accordingly, new oil pump. It's not that much more money and you will feel better about the work you did.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this superdave of cavalier/camaro/nova fame?

I did a similar refresh of my TBI engine and did the hone and pistons (same bore) and rings with some vortec heads. Be sure to check the heads for cracks between the two center exhaust valves. Lots of running engines have those cracks starting...

A cam is really a necessity for a rebuild. The stock one is so damn tiny...

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Is this superdave of cavalier/camaro/nova fame?

I did a similar refresh of my TBI engine and did the hone and pistons (same bore) and rings with some vortec heads. Be sure to check the heads for cracks between the two center exhaust valves. Lots of running engines have those cracks starting...

A cam is really a necessity for a rebuild. The stock one is so damn tiny...

Different superdave.

I'll be checking the heads for cracks, for sure. When I do this, I'll do a thread and document it fully. It will be interesting to see what kind of condition everything will have after a quarter million miles. I guess it's my nature to not just want to leave well enough alone. I'd rather tinker with an older truck than have a payment though