Cheap Headlight Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ever since I got my 98, the foggy looking headlights (and parking lights) kinda bugged me. Every once in a while, I'd make a half-hearted attempt to make them look better, once using paint polishing compound and a micro fibre cloth, the other time using wet sandpaper (600-1200-2000 grit). Although these made some improvement, the lights still did not look right.

My neighbour suggested I go to a parts shop, and get Meguiars headlight restoration kit. I happened to see some kits at O'Reilly's, so being a cheap b*stard, I go the cheapest one there, about $15.

Today, I finally got around to doing the job. Opened the box, and there are three small sanding pads, a squeeze bottle of polishing compound made for plastic, a micro-fibre cloth, and a small packet of UV protectant.

I masked off the grill, got a couple of buckets of water and a sprayer with water, and got to work. Basically, you are just progressively wet sanding the lenses starting with the roughest grade, and ending up with the finest. There are four grades of sanding material, as one of the pads has two different grades.

Doing the job this way is tedious, but it's effective. The headlights came out almost perfect, and the parking lights look great as well. In fact, I now want to get rid of the ugly amber light bulbs in there, and put in clear bulbs.

The secret seems to be to use a lot of water, and have a cool beverage waiting for you when the job's done.

BTW, I have no connection with Meguiars, and usually do not use their products, but this kit works fine.

You could probably do the same thing by buying some 600, 1200, 2000, and maybe 4000 grit paper, along with a fine plastic polishing compound, but the kit is very convenient.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did 600, 1500, 2500 and polish twice with PlastX
Did the headlights, turn signals and taillights on my truck, the flip truck and my uncle's car...
His car was the most improved but it was also the worst looking...

full

Last edited: