Chasing P0302

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add leaking fuel injector to the list of possible contaminants.
Have you put a scanner on it? Did you monitor compression leakdown? Maybe try fuel pressure leakdown test also. Check fuel trims with engine running.
What's the plug smell like? Oil? Fuel? You should replace it as it is fouled.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks like your contamination in #2 is most likely coming from the listed sources then.
start with a close visual inspection of the intake manifold and surrounding areas.
fuel leak down test is easy.
work your way on to harder ones, no magic bullet at this point. Good luck.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the manifold second manifold bolt was a tad loose, I'm gonna go ahead and order a whole top end gasket set. Meanwhile I"m gonna find a scanner to do a fuel pressure test and make sure I don't need to throw a injector in it while I have it tore down.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For fuel pressure test, all you need is a pressure guage. I think it was mentioned you can rent them from the local parts store? I personally think you need to own one.

For checking the fuel injectors, you will either need a fancier scanner that does a injector balance test or there are smaller electronics devices that do it.

Here's an inexpensive one. There's a guy on YT called Ratches and Wrenches and he demonstrates how to use this one:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Or, the more professional version is the OTC version:

Live fuel trims monitoring would probably offer a clue of what's going on...

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the manifold second manifold bolt was a tad loose, I'm gonna go ahead and order a whole top end gasket set. Meanwhile I"m gonna find a scanner to do a fuel pressure test and make sure I don't need to throw a injector in it while I have it tore down.
Did you check the torque on all of the manifold bolts? You need to diagnose this problem before you tear into the engine, possibly creating new problems. This will leave you chasing your tail indefinitely.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to find a scanner that will do a fuel test or read the injectors I thought about simply spraying starting fluid around the intake while its idling see if it has that bad of a vacum leak up top somewhere. Around cyl 2 valve cover and intake have pretty good build up in that area.