Cepek & 35's back to 33's ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now I consider the truck an extra vehicle because it gets pretty poor mileage with the 6.0, 4l80e, and 14 bolt FF and it's not particularly easy to get in/out of mostly for loading my dog and my passengers. But it's my first vehicle since I was 16 and it's a lifer. I'm getting rid of another car because I just need a truck and I've been contemplating getting a Tacoma for a Daily recently. But I think it might be smarter in the long run to just spend a few bucks on my truck and make it a little more practical for everyday use and fix everything I don't like.... which is fairly extensive.

I'm thinking I will get a few mpg back by lowering it down some and reducing some rotating mass, get back into an AT tire, and change out the 6.0L (mainly because the piston slap sounds like a diesel on startup) for a high output 5.3 I picked up. I also picked up a 14 SF this weekend because I'm sick of the 6 lug front with 8 lug rear. It has 3.73 gears and thought about just running it and save the $ on the re-gear if I stick with 33's.

Anybody else consider doing the same to their truck? Most people are trying to go 35's or bigger, but how many go back to 33's? Maybe I'm just getting older lol. If I do so my Cepek will probably come off and perhaps look at the RCX and decrank it slightly. That's an 1.5" difference on the drop brackets and decrank down to 4" would probably be about right. But open to other options. I'm just wondering if I will have any issues with brackets or anything I cut off for the cepek? I would love to see some trucks with 4-6" and 33" or 285's.

On a side note...
I could be pulling off the Cepek, 315 Toyo MT's, 6 lug 16x10 Bullet Wheels, a pair of 16x10 8 lug Bullet wheels, a freshly built 14 Bolt FF with disc brakes, 4.88's, and an Eaton Posi if anybody is interested. I also have some 6" Procomp springs.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where you located i have a few lifts that would suit you and i would take the DC off your hands. i also interested in the 35s

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it would be smart to go down to 33's and a 4" lift it you want to drive it lots and get better mileage. If I ever lift the truck it's only going to be 33's and a 4" until it becomes an ocassional driver then I'll go bigger.

On a plus you could get some decent money for the cepek if it's in fair condition since they're recently discontinued.

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only driven this truck about 1500-2000 miles with the lift, wheels, tires, rear-end etc. If anybody here wants the lift, I can pull it off whenever. I don't know what a fair used price is. Is there a better option than the RCX 5" decranked to 4" for 33's? A body lift is out of the question. I've been there and don't particularly like the look.

OBS ROCK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in Vancouver wa. If you sell the cepek let me know! I've been looking for one.

Last edited:

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Vancouver wa. If you sell the cepek let me know! I've been looking for one.

Make me an offer. I haven't even looked around to see what they are worth used. But I can pull it off this week.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a rancho kit and with it set at a 4in lift the cv axels are stright across it rides and preforms very very well.. i would trade you it and cash for the DC but we would have to ship them. ill include every nut and bolt you need plus the shocks. its all been painted black its no longer red. i cant help you on the tires since we are so far away but we might be able to do somthing on the lifts.