CB SWR meter not reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Couldn't find a thread in here talking about my specific issue. Hope there's some CB guys in here.

I just installed a CB and antenna for the first time. Hood mounted Firestik Firefly. SWR meter in line to a Bearcat 980 SSB receiver. Have an 18' cable run. The "jumper" cable from my meter to unit is 9'. plan on removing this and the meter once tuned.

Checked ground of my cable to chasis. Good.
Checked continuity of cable center and outer leads. Good.

Can receive transmissions. Distorted, but I'm sure it's because my antenna is not tuned yet. When I go to check my SWR I go to the "forward" setting, set on 10w setting, key the mic, and the needle doesnt move. So I can't set the "set" point and consequently can't get a SWR reading. When I turn the SWR meter adjustment to "max" and key the mic the needle jumps but goes to 0 quickly. Makes me think the mic is working.

Wondering if my unit is bad. If it is a mic connectivity issue or something I haven't thought of. Any thoughts?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Are you 100% certain the mic is keying up the transmitter? I've had mics that will shut the audio off but the switch wouldn't engage the actual transmit section of the radio. I'd try a different mic first, especially if you're using one of those cheesy cheap cobra mics. The fact that the SWR needle jumped once only makes me more certain this is the case. I mean I could be wrong, but if you have a spare mic it certainly doesn't hurt to try lol

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I am not familiar with CB but have worked with some HF radio's. Is your Radio in a sideband mode or in AM. In sideband the carrier signal is suppressed on the transmitter so in that mode pushing the mic would be 0 power output into the antenna unless you speak into the mic. If you go to AM, the carrier isn't suppressed on transmit so they'll be a carrier signal at full output power continuously to the antenna as long as the mic is switched.

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply delta. Doesn’t seem to change anything. This morning I realized my excess cable was also wound pretty tight which I hear is bad news causing resistance. But I have it all stretched out right now and still nothing hmm I’m super stumped.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My PA speaker is also very quiet
Are you 100% certain the mic is keying up the transmitter? I've had mics that will shut the audio off but the switch wouldn't engage the actual transmit section of the radio. I'd try a different mic first, especially if you're using one of those cheesy cheap cobra mics. The fact that the SWR needle jumped once only makes me more certain this is the case. I mean I could be wrong, but if you have a spare mic it certainly doesn't hurt to try lol

yea AK49 that’s what I was thinking. My mic may be the problem. Especially since my PA is also very quiet even with the volume maxed out! It seems to make a registering noise in the unit when I key it though...