CB Radios and no idea what im looking for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's like most you can remove the speaker from the case and run some wires.

My recommendation would be to buy an external speaker though.

The speakers in most "full sized" cb's are pretty cheap and tinny to start with. Mounting it "free air" probably isn't going to improve that scenario...

Thanks! Wasn't sure so I wasn't gonna mess with it until I knew. As much as I was looking forward to doing this little project tonight, if its not worth my time I ain't gonna do it. One more question: External speakers bypass the internal speaker, correct? So when I plug an external speaker into it, I won't hear mumbling from the internal speaker inside the cubby?

With that, can anyone recommend a good/decent external CB radio speaker? A buddy of mine bought one from radio shack ($15) and it musta been a lemon or just a cheap POS cause it lasted one week.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks Great White lots of perfect info, decided to go with the cobra 29 LTD, still working on an antenna with what I want. More the likely a wilson.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Thanks! Wasn't sure so I wasn't gonna mess with it until I knew. As much as I was looking forward to doing this little project tonight, if its not worth my time I ain't gonna do it. One more question: External speakers bypass the internal speaker, correct? So when I plug an external speaker into it, I won't hear mumbling from the internal speaker inside the cubby?

With that, can anyone recommend a good/decent external CB radio speaker? A buddy of mine bought one from radio shack ($15) and it musta been a lemon or just a cheap POS cause it lasted one week.

Again, if like most cb's, plugging in an external speaker inhibits the internal.

I use a uniden bearcat. Great speaker for a great price.

Only other external i might consider would be a cobra hg s500. Has built in noise cancelling and talkback feature. Useful for monitoring your own modulation when going out.
Not sure if the talk back feature works on all cb's though. I seem to remember something about it needing something specific the cobra radios do....