Cats plugged up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started the truck and drove it down the road. It smoked a little bit when it was idling so i was hoping for the best. I didn’t even go a mile down the road and turned around and by the time i pulled back in the driveway it was at 210 and climbing.
If the starter doesn't sound weak, it's not the charging or starting systems. Check coolant and oil for contamination and low levels. You may also try to locate the source of that leak.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the starter doesn't sound weak, it's not the charging or starting systems. Check coolant and oil for contamination and low levels. You may also try to locate the source of that leak.

The overflow tank is low, I’ve been fighting coolant leaks for a while now. I already checked the dipstick and the oil cap and didn’t see anything concerning. I also checked the radiator and I didn’t see anything in there. How could i locate the source of the leak?

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im debating on trying to find another motor because it has low oil pressure anyhow so I figure it’s on borrowed time anyways.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Might be an intake gasket failure, pretty common issue on the Vortecs that cause it to burn coolant.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might be an intake gasket failure, pretty common issue on the Vortecs that cause it to burn coolant.
Thats what i think but i just dont know weather it’d be even worth the effort to spend any more money on it because it had very very low oil pressure at hot idle.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats what i think but i just dont know weather it’d be even worth the effort to spend any more money on it because it had very very low oil pressure at hot idle.
You can fix the oil pressure without a full overhaul, replace the bearings. It's a PITA, but I wouldn't say a bigger PITA than replacing the engine. If it's not rod knocking, it's likely the main bearings and you can do it with the engine in the truck. With a rebuild of the bottom end and the gasket changes, you may be better off just rebuilding it altogether. Mine is burning oil, and I'll be rebuilding.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can fix the oil pressure without a full overhaul, replace the bearings. It's a PITA, but I wouldn't say a bigger PITA than replacing the engine. If it's not rod knocking, it's likely the main bearings and you can do it with the engine in the truck. With a rebuild of the bottom end and the gasket changes, you may be better off just rebuilding it altogether. Mine is burning oil, and I'll be rebuilding.

There is a shop on my road and they do pretty good work. I may get them to look at it and see if they’ll rebuild it for me. When i say oil pressure is low though i mean about 10psi low. I may get them to rebuild it and build it up a little.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the same problem according to my dash, but I'm actually a bit higher by a real oil pressure guage. Worth checking, as the dash is not accurate.