Cat delete with no tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it going to throw anything off drivability wise if I delete my cat and don't tune out the post cat 02? This is on my 97 350. Picking up a new welder when I get home so I'll be able to do my exhaust finally

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The check engine light will definitely be on. But as far as what it will do to the power, I'm not sure. It may de rate the engine but I've never done it so I'm not 100%

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I deleted mine awhile back, you get a CEL but that's it, post cat o2's only see if the cats are working, doesn't effect air/fuel ratio or anything

Woke my truck up a bit but my cats were originals with 190k on them so they were probably a lil plugged by that point

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good enough. CEL is fine since I regularly scan the truck anyways. My cats have 375000k on them original. Guessing they are likely to be plugged up a bit

Reaction score
I have a 97 just like yours and took the cats out and threw dual straight pipes on it and I'm still waiting for the cel to come on... It's been on before now and then so I know it works but it's not on steady.

hk11

Reaction score
I have a 97 just like yours and took the cats out and threw dual straight pipes on it and I'm still waiting for the cel to come on... It's been on before now and then so I know it works but it's not on steady.

^this. was running true dual straights at one point, post cat o2's weren't even in the piping and had no CEL. cut em off because they were clogged and made my truck bog down real bad when taking off from a stop, I think they had 214k miles or so on them. helped the truck run much better afterwards

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should connect your pipes with an h pipe... Also just get o2 extenders off Ebay for like 10$ then you won't throw a code... They look like a 2_1/2 inch piece of pipe double threaded to jack the o2 sensor higher up and only let in a certain amount off exhaust...I had then on my 97 it stopped the codes immediately... An h pipe ties both sides together sounds better and better power output....whatever the output will be

Live action!!

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to welding and exhaust and stuff so I was going to use the stock y pipe that's there for now and just cut off close to the cat as possible and weld a pipe in there. I'll see how I do, maybe I'll cut the y pipe off and go to an h pipe.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to welding and exhaust and stuff so I was going to use the stock y pipe that's there for now and just cut off close to the cat as possible and weld a pipe in there. I'll see how I do, maybe I'll cut the y pipe off and go to an h pipe.
Oh your tbi? I thought you were Vortec
Edit
You are Vortec looked back at the beginning

Live action!!

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should have two compete exhaust pipes from the motor and two cats..don't know the y pipe your referring to

Live action!!