Cassette stuck in GM cassette deck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Previous owner said he never used it. Seemed to play better on one side than the other, probably needs a cleaning or head aligned. Anyhow I have been playing thrift store cassettes in it, pushed the rewind button today and it jammed up. Just a continuous clicking sound and cassette not ejecting, playing, or FF/REV. Tried to pry it out using a house key but wasn't coming out. I had to turn the radio off to stop the noise. Figure I'll get out a butter knife and needle nose pliers and force that sucker out. Not sure if the problem is the tape deck or the cassette. Any less destructive ideas for getting a tape out?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, but you have to remove the cassette player, take the cover off of it, and then you can grad the stuck cassette with your fingers and pull it out, or pry it out like that. by removing the cover from the unit, this gives you full access to the stuck cassette.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are running thrift store cassettes it would be a good idea to get an old stand alone cassette deck and "exercise" it by fast forwarding and rewinding once or twice before using the tape in the truck. May times those old tapes have been sitting for years and get stuck together. I would bet that you ran afoul of something like that .

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention, as your are pulling on the cassette, you also need to be pressing the eject button.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I watched a You tube video on how to remove the cassette deck trim panel from the dash. Pretty easy.

Not too sure how to remove the deck completely. But got it loose from the dash atleast, the power cable was keeping it in, guess it unplugs from the radio unit? I was not able to get the plastic trim off the cass deck itself, removed the four screws, but it is on there pretty solid. I got it loose on one end, but the other end was on there good and broke the plastic mounting tab about 95% off. Luckily putting the screw back in will hold it in place for now.

Anyhow, I used a butter knife wedged under the cassette and wiggled it, pushed the eject button every so often and while trying not to sweat or think evil thoughts I felt the tape loosen up. One more push on eject and the tape came out. I will try to avoid the temptation to play tapes for the time being and start thinking about what I want (features vs price) in a replacement stereo. Thanks all for the suggestions on how to free the cassette.

Last edited:

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I watched a You tube video on how to remove the cassette deck trim panel from the dash. Pretty easy.

Not too sure how to remove the deck completely. But got it loose from the dash atleast, the power cable was keeping it in, guess it unplugs from the radio unit? I was not able to get the plastic trim off the cass deck itself, removed the four screws, but it is on there pretty solid. I got it loose on one end, but the other end was on there good and broke the plastic mounting tab about 95% off. Luckily putting the screw back in will hold it in place for now.

Anyhow, I used a butter knife wedged under the cassette and wiggled it, pushed the eject button every so often and while trying not to sweat or think evil thoughts I felt the tape loosen up. One more push on eject and the tape came out. I will try to avoid the temptation to play tapes for the time being and start thinking about what I want (features vs price) in a replacement stereo. Thanks all for the suggestions on how to free the cassette.
I know this will get some static from the purists, but I bought a $45 dollar Boss stereo off amazon, $25 color matched new center panel for the single din radio, came with the gm side of the radio harness, also replaced all six speakers in my burb with some Boss speakers that were between $15-20 a pair. Not an amazing system, but it beats the blown stock speakers and has cd, aux in, bluetooth, usb, and micro sd. Not a bad setup for under $150

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this will get some static from the purists, but I bought a $45 dollar Boss stereo off amazon, $25 color matched new center panel for the single din radio, came with the gm side of the radio harness, also replaced all six speakers in my burb with some Boss speakers that were between $15-20 a pair. Not an amazing system, but it beats the blown stock speakers and has cd, aux in, bluetooth, usb, and micro sd. Not a bad setup for under $150

A po had done this to my 88 and it worked about 7onths after I got the truck
Then the stereo would go from comfortable up to in front of heavy metal band speaker. I turn it down and up it went. Could not get it to stay where I wanted it to be. I bought a JVC unit and installed that. Right where old unit was under center vents. CD, Am/FM, aux, Pandora, iheart, Bluetooth. No Siriusxm on radio, got a free unit with car adapter and jacked out to aux in.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A po had done this to my 88 and it worked about 7onths after I got the truck
Then the stereo would go from comfortable up to in front of heavy metal band speaker. I turn it down and up it went. Could not get it to stay where I wanted it to be. I bought a JVC unit and installed that. Right where old unit was under center vents. CD, Am/FM, aux, Pandora, iheart, Bluetooth. No Siriusxm on radio, got a free unit with car adapter and jacked out to aux in.
Do you still have that radio? I'd like to install it in my friend's car, sounds like a fun prank.