Can my TBI handle a Supercharger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88C1500

Reaction score
I've only put on 4-5k. My transmission is starting to slip more than it used to, but it's an original 4L60e, and my truck has 196k on original engine and trans. It's held up pretty well, but I only have a 3psi pulley on it. It's definitely more powerful and A LOT more torquey. Let's put it this way: I have a stock 10 bolt with 3.73's, and I've never been able to spin the tires. With only 3 psi, I can chirp them coming off the line, no brakestand or anything. It moves pretty good. Once I do some much-needed mods (rebuild trans, headers, open up throttle body) I might throw the 5 psi on and see how it does.

Do you tow or go offroad? If not, I think I would recommend 3.73's. Lower RPM's for highway cruising, and since it would be supercharged, you wouldn't need the higher gearing for quick acceleration. It's a lot of money and work, but I think it's worth it. My kit came almost complete, and that's the key is to find one that isn't missing pieces. Supercharger, brackets for pulleys and tensioner along with the pulleys and tensioner that go on them. If it comes with the hoses for the radiator and cooling system, that would be great, but I think you could find them if you had to. There are also modified brackets for the coil and the throttle cables, in addition to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that goes in the return line.

No I use it mostly as a daily driver and to smoke little cumstangs. Im planning on getting something newer one day and this be my play toy anyways. But like i said I dont know where to start. Im new at this, but im ready to learn, if there is a forum, manuel, or video on it i will watch/read before doing anything.

And the TH350 should hold up well to it shouldnt it? Or will it need beefed up?

88C1500

Reaction score
I would get a 73-75, but that's because of CA smog laws. How bad is it in your state?

I know what you mean about getting it used. I've had some stuff that I had to resell when I bought it because it didn't work, but I've gotten lucky a few times.

Any idea what it would cost to turn your 5.7 into a 383?

Ive seen anywhere from about 2-6k depending on your local machinists, and parts you use. Ive thought about doing that to, but the idea of a supercharged 350 seemed plenty haha

88C1500

Reaction score
Just had a buddy from high school tell me he has a Paxton supercharger for a 350 and doesn't know much about it. Said he would try to find it and run the part number and all for me