Can my TBI handle a Supercharger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88C1500

Reaction score
I have a 88 1500 with the 5.7L TBI 350. It has a small cam, Hooker long headers, K&N cai, tbi spacer, and a Superchip Stage 2 computer. All hooked up to a TH350 with a shift kit.

Im pretty new to this but im wanting to beef up my 350. Can it hold up to a supercharger, or even a turbo? And if not what will I need to do for it to handle it?

Also any suggestions on what brand/type

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
standard 5 psi of boost no problem...any more than that you will have to modify stuff

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a Whipple there hard to find but pop up now and then

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Like said above, stick with 5 psi or lower, and you'll be fine on the stock engine. I would recommend running 91 octane though, just to be sure you don't have issues with pinging. I did that on mine after the install and it hasn't pinged once.

How many miles are on your engine? Does it have any leaks or oil issues? How is your transmission holding up? How's the rear end?

I would recommend searching for a whipple as well. Some might need to be reconditioned, but I still think they're the best, of course, I may be just a little biased.

Adhuntr.com is probably one of the best places to search.....along with ebay. Just be careful that you don't get scammed. They're a lot of money. What's your budget for this? It'll probably cost around $2k total.

Damn

Reaction score
Like said above, stick with 5 psi or lower, and you'll be fine on the stock engine. I would recommend running 91 octane though, just to be sure you don't have issues with pinging. I did that on mine after the install and it hasn't pinged once.

How many miles are on your engine? Does it have any leaks or oil issues? How is your transmission holding up? How's the rear end?

I would recommend searching for a whipple as well. Some might need to be reconditioned, but I still think they're the best, of course, I may be just a little biased.

Adhuntr.com is probably one of the best places to search.....along with ebay. Just be careful that you don't get scammed. They're a lot of money. What's your budget for this? It'll probably cost around $2k total.

How many miles have you put with the supercharger on your truck, and what kinda power and torque would one expect with 5psi?

88C1500

Reaction score

Im not sure on how many miles the truck has. When I bought it the odometer was broke, so it has sat at 76k miles since I've had it. I haven't found any leaks, and the transmission was rebuilt last year. And the rear end I haven't really messed with, I was thinking of rebuilding it with 4.11 gears or maybe 4.10.
My Budget haha thats the funny part, at this moment none, but I wanted to know if this was even worth doing before i started putting back money for it.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
How many miles have you put with the supercharger on your truck, and what kinda power and torque would one expect with 5psi?

I've only put on 4-5k. My transmission is starting to slip more than it used to, but it's an original 4L60e, and my truck has 196k on original engine and trans. It's held up pretty well, but I only have a 3psi pulley on it. It's definitely more powerful and A LOT more torquey. Let's put it this way: I have a stock 10 bolt with 3.73's, and I've never been able to spin the tires. With only 3 psi, I can chirp them coming off the line, no brakestand or anything. It moves pretty good. Once I do some much-needed mods (rebuild trans, headers, open up throttle body) I might throw the 5 psi on and see how it does.

Im not sure on how many miles the truck has. When I bought it the odometer was broke, so it has sat at 76k miles since I've had it. I haven't found any leaks, and the transmission was rebuilt last year. And the rear end I haven't really messed with, I was thinking of rebuilding it with 4.11 gears or maybe 4.10.
My Budget haha thats the funny part, at this moment none, but I wanted to know if this was even worth doing before i started putting back money for it.

Do you tow or go offroad? If not, I think I would recommend 3.73's. Lower RPM's for highway cruising, and since it would be supercharged, you wouldn't need the higher gearing for quick acceleration. It's a lot of money and work, but I think it's worth it. My kit came almost complete, and that's the key is to find one that isn't missing pieces. Supercharger, brackets for pulleys and tensioner along with the pulleys and tensioner that go on them. If it comes with the hoses for the radiator and cooling system, that would be great, but I think you could find them if you had to. There are also modified brackets for the coil and the throttle cables, in addition to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that goes in the return line.

All of that was included in the original kits, so that should tell you if it's complete or if you need to track some of those parts down. My kit had all that and the chip below, and it was $1500, just to give you an idea of pricing. I haven't had any issues with bearings or the whipple, it's in really good shape. If you find a kit that's missing some of the stuff above, make sure you plan accordingly and that the kit is priced so you can afford that stuff (like the afpr, those are a little expensive).

There was also a PROM that whipple made for these kits, but it was an accessory. If you can find a kit with that included, it's great to have. Otherwise, you will need to get a custom tune.

The only thing missing from my kit was the included fuel lines, because the TB moves and you have to get flexible lines. I had to spend a couple hundred on my fuel lines, but I got steel braided with aluminum fittings and a fuel pressure gauge, so I know it won't need to be redone.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suggest a ProCharger, It's not the manifold screw type, it's Centrifugal. So, it will mount to the side like an accessory, so you wouldn't have any problems with the hood clearance. Also from ProCharger it will come with the intercooler when most companies you have to pay more for an intercooler. For a TBI on the site it said it will be at 8-9 Lbs of boost and will be a 60-65% HP increase, all with a stock engine.

http://www.procharger.com/TRUCK_SUV/gm-truck-superchargers.shtml

Last edited:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I suggest a ProCharger, It's not the manifold screw type, it's Centrifugal. So, it will mount to the side like an accessory, so you wouldn't have any problems with the hood clearance. Also from ProCharger it will come with the intercooler when most companies you have to pay more for an intercooler. For a TBI on the site it said it will be at 8-9 Lbs of boost and will be a 60-65% HP increase, all with a stock engine.

http://www.procharger.com/TRUCK_SUV/gm-truck-superchargers.shtml

ProCharger is also a good brand, but the main thing that turned me off to them was being centrifugals. Sure, they aren't constant drive (so your engine isn't driving them 100% of the time like whipples are), but that also means they have to spool up. With Whipple, the power is always there, lots of low-end torque. Plus, they don't require an intercooler unless you get up in the 10+ psi range. 8 psi is probably the highest I will ever go anyways.

But it's a matter of opinion. Make sure you do your research. The main brands are Whipple, ProCharger, and Vortech for superchargers for our trucks.