Can I Swap a 94 K1500 3.73 Rear End with 93 Suburban 4x4 (same 3.73)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamahX

Reaction score
My Truck = '94 K1500
Donor Truck = '93 Suburban 4x4

Same ratio 3.73

Can I swap? I already have it, only paid $80, but now someone told me they aren't interchangable.

I measured the rear-ends, same from backing plate to plate, and same from mounting point to mounting point (to leaf springs).

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Yes. are they both 10 bolts?

The only difference between them assuming they are (the 14bsf was an option, though rare, on the 1500, and depending if its a K1500 or K2500 suburban it could also be a 14bsf under that), is that the suburban axle will have sway bar mounts where the K1500 will not. If you were told they were not interchangable, this difference causes them to be different part numbers, so "technically" you were not misinformed.

Do you know if either axle has the G80?

RamahX

Reaction score
Yes, got the one with the sway bar and took the mounts also. My truck has mounting holes for the sway bar brackets on the frame, same place as were on the Suburban. Both are 6 lug, as both are 4wd.

10 bolt on both, but the Suburban didn't have the G80 locker (my truck did). Already bugged y'all on my other post about that... I figured that with the sway bar and heavier duty brakes its mostly an upgrade. If I get stuck I guess I'll just use 4x4.

Question, are the 11" heavier duty? My truck currently has the 10". Meaning everyone usually refers to them as 2.5" or 3" brakes (actually they're 2.7" I think).

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
Someone else will have to jump in there. I never messed with 10 bolt brakes.. lol

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
14 bolt semi-floater. Basically, its the bigger, beefier version of the 10 bolt.

less weight up high over the rear wheels, I guess they deemed it unnecessary. sway bars also tend to decrease off-road traction as they limit suspension flex.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
14 bolt it a heavyer duty rear end then the 10 bolt. was put in mostly 1500hd the 454 ss and 2500 light duty trucks. the semi floating is the lighter duty version of the full floating rear end put it 2500 and 3500. You can tell its a full float if it has the eight bolts on the hubs that hold the axles in vs the c clis and by the diff cover on the ff is boxier and not interchangeable between the two

RamahX

Reaction score
Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just swap the ring and pinion and just keep what I have. I understand how it's done - setting backlash and blue printing.

Just wondering how hard in reality it is to do while my rear is still in the truck...