Cams Vs. Emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I thought about buying another TBI truck like I had in the past for a new daily driver. My only gripe is that it was scarcely underpowered, so I did a couple mods to it to crank it up.

I live in a hardcore emissions area. OBD-I vehicles have to get the sniffer test done on the dyno. My question is...Who out there has a reasonably sized aftermarket cam that passes emissions and how did you do it? I was thinking of running a 260XFI and maybe a couple other easy bolt-ons. The more details the merrier. Thanks!

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Emissions and cams? Pretty sure those words don't belong in the same sentence :rofl:

Anyway it's amazing how an open element filter and a better flowing exhaust opens up the TBI. Throw on some vortec heads if you cam it.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't have to do emissions with my old truck...Now I have to in my county. Having a Vortec spoiled me, and OBD-II is a lot easier to play with than OBD-I where I live. Found a truck in the perfect combination I want with 100,000 less than I got on the clock. Haha. No one has done it I suppose?

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone on here with better cams don't have to worry about emissions lol

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Bought the truck, and I think I have a plan. Passed emissions the first round, the rest is up in the air for now.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I hooked mine up to the sniffer just for sh!ts and giggles. It passed fine, but I have a pretty mild cam.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Hmmm...If you don't mind...What's your grind? I'm looking at fairly mild stuff since this it's a 4WD truck that I plan on lifting.