cam work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yodertoter

Reaction score
Any one put a cam in their 96+ gm? looking to put a cam in, would like to get some what of a thumpy idle, already have a higher stall torque converter and machining heads isn't a problem for me either. lemme no what you got and opinions welcome to! hopefully someone actually has some engine work done on this forum. getting tired of seeing headlight upgrades and speaker upgrades.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ok so whats the purpose of the truck, torque for towing, street truck, high roms whatre you looking for overall performance wise? also whats your stall at currently? and are you okay with buying a new one if need be? whats your budget? do you want to stick with rockers and such or are you pulling the heads for a nice port and polish as well as lifters or???

common cams are that of a RV cam that someone can usually just toss in with minimal efforts. to me its kinda lame personally, for instance i forget his name but hes using an lt4 hotcammed 383 with ls1 tb, very well planned build if i do say so for his truck and its uses.

engine work is more than what looks cool, everything interracts with something else and theres alot of planning, cammin a motor means, youll definitely need a retune, you might need a converter to match as well as rockers, springs, definitely a timing set, and to get more flow a port job on just about any stock head is worth it IMO.

aslo with a higher stall(not sure how high yours is) youll benefit the life of your trans with a cooler, most have one from factory which is good overall but a larger one wouldnt hurt so hopefully you already have one of those.

yodertoter

Reaction score
ok so whats the purpose of the truck, torque for towing, street truck, high roms whatre you looking for overall performance wise? also whats your stall at currently? and are you okay with buying a new one if need be? whats your budget? do you want to stick with rockers and such or are you pulling the heads for a nice port and polish as well as lifters or???
common cams are that of a RV cam that someone can usually just toss in with minimal efforts. to me its kinda lame personally, for instance i forget his name but hes using an lt4 hotcammed 383 with ls1 tb, very well planned build if i do say so for his truck and its uses.

engine work is more than what looks cool, everything interracts with something else and theres alot of planning, cammin a motor means, youll definitely need a retune, you might need a converter to match as well as rockers, springs, definitely a timing set, and to get more flow a port job on just about any stock head is worth it IMO.

aslo with a higher stall(not sure how high yours is) youll benefit the life of your trans with a cooler, most have one from factory which is good overall but a larger one wouldnt hurt so hopefully you already have one of those.

It'll be a weekend cruzer/show and maybe occasional take it through the mud bogs. I would manly like a rougher idle, I am planning on taking off heads and porting them. I was looking at comp cams kits with springs push tubes and all. Just wondering if anyone uses any other brands but it looks like this forum isn't happinen with engine builds....:flag: