Cam Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Standalone? You are referring to the MPFI right? I have had some troubles with it running smoothly when altering the smallest thing lol for example, the TPS and IAC and pulling air cleaner off are such small changes but make it run very differently each time, and it seems to smooth itself out each time. We are now replacing the whole ignition system, EGR valve and headers along with O2 sensor to sort out a hard start issue. (plus it needed it anyways lol)

What fuel system do you have?

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Times like these, set a budget. Plan around that. At this point, any 5.3-6.0 LS swap would make so much more power for the money.

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What fuel system do you have?
It's an aftermarket fuel pump to accommodate the aftermarket MPFI, not sure exactly the specs or rated PSI etc. because it was in before we got it. but we did replace fuel filter. The MPFI is set up with a bigger throttle body and fuel rails that run along both sides of the intake with 8 total injectors, 2 injectors at each intake runner.

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you can, as mentioned before, and it may run fine BUT, I can tell you a little story;
In my 88 350 TBI I put in a bunch of go fast parts including bored out Throttle Body with higher pressure spring, aluminum heads, mild cam (.464/.484), headers, high flow Cat, etc. When it was stock it ran 0-60 in 11.2 secs. With the go fast parts and a mail order tune it was ~8.2, with 4.11 gears from 3.42, 7.9 secs, got down to 7.6 with data logging and custom tunes from a guy @Gearhead-EFI.com then I got the EBL Flash-II and data logged/tuned repeat and logged some more. Now with a 2500 stall TC and the EBL I'm at 7.3 seconds mainly because I can't get off the line with my 1 tire fryer open diff. Otherwise I'd be in the mid to high 6's.

Yes, IMHO, tuning will give you better performance than just hard parts. YMMV:Big Laugh:
I agree too, but i'm no tech on this EFI stuff and will have to have someone else tune it for me. Also i'm not looking for no racer or strip truck, i'm just looking for a good daily (mpg not an issue) with decent power and a good sound haha.

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Times like these, set a budget. Plan around that. At this point, any 5.3-6.0 LS swap would make so much more power for the money.
I would if i had the money LOL i'm on a tight budget but will have the money for small upgrades soon, like the ones mentioned.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a built motor already. Check to see what heads are on it. And try to find what cam it has( last thing you want to do is replace it with a smaller one)
And then take it from there

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Post pictures of the setup so we can see what you have. It's impossible to make a decent recommendation without that info. For all we know, you already are cammed.

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a built motor already. Check to see what heads are on it. And try to find what cam it has( last thing you want to do is replace it with a smaller one)
Post pictures of the setup so we can see what you have. It's impossible to make a decent recommendation without that info. For all we know, you already are cammed.
I don't think there is any way i could find out the cam. The heads on the other hand, i could. I will look for the castings tmr and intake bolt holes.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I (we?) want to see the intake setup and computer. You can measure cam lift at the very least, would tell us if it's stock or not.

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I (we?) want to see the intake setup and computer. You can measure cam lift at the very least, would tell us if it's stock or not.
I also have a video of it starting up.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is the cold start video, and just for disclaimer at full operating temperature at the lowest idle it doesn’t lope or anything. Just sounds normal.

also it was raining out and the vidoe messed with my phone, and I couldn’t take good pictures either. Forgive that.

You must be registered for see images attach