Cam swap in truck possible without removing ac condenser ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know - possibly have first hand experience - can you do a cam swap in the GMT400 truck without removing the ac condenser ? Not sure if you can sneak the cam in there by just taking the shroud and radiator out .... ....thanks in advance .

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did it, pulled the radiator out and I had to yank the grill and move the AC forward IIRC.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it, pulled the radiator out and I had to yank the grill and move the AC forward IIRC.
Maybe so, I think my hard lines to the condenser wouldn't allow much play. I had to remove most everything in front - removed the grill, moved the trans cooler to the side,removed the A/C condenser, and radiator. I left the P/S cooler on the side.
You must be registered for see images attach

Makes everything so much easier to get to.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It was a bit of a stretch on the hard lines. Did it to my 454 this way as well.

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah did my cam in my 454 last month. Had to remove grill and condenser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The prevailing school of thought is that even if you can do it with misc. items still in place, it's better to have everything clear so that you have the easiest approach on removing/installing the cam - you don't want to nick the cam bearings; that could ruin your day..

Richard

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Here I always just pulled the whole engine out, but I've only had small block trucks. I'd imagine a big block would be easier keeping it in?

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Here I always just pulled the whole engine out, but I've only had small block trucks. I'd imagine a big block would be easier keeping it in?
That seems a little unnecessary. Lol. I just yanked the grill, rad, accessories and intake and got to mine no problem. Sbc

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I did both of mine without cracking the AC open, a 350 and a 454. I don't recall one being worse than the other.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did my Express van without discharging the a/c. Unbolted the condenser and pulled it forward a little. Cam as only about 1-2" shy of coming out when I measured the space vs new cam.