cam suggestion Big Block.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoAdedDiApER

Reaction score
got an SS454 clone, motor in it is knocking. i have a 87 burb w/454 tbi bone stock. gonna use the burb engine in the SS clone. truck is 5 speed with stock gears in rear, was told it turned very few rpm's in 5th gear at speed limit.
mods for burb 454 will be single plane aluminum intake, quadrajet carb and headers. i want a cam for sound as much as i do performance but don't want to hurt performance with too much cam. as stated truck is 5 speed with high gears and i plan to run A/C. truck wont be a daily driver but may be taken on trips out of town. basically want a cam that sounds good without hurting performance and killing mpg. being a small block guy i know things are different with big blocks. thanks for any suggestions.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
So you're going to downgrade from a TBI to a quadrajet, but you're worried about losing mileage from a cam swap?

LoAdedDiApER

Reaction score
So you're going to downgrade from a TBI to a quadrajet, but you're worried about losing mileage from a cam swap?

just using parts i got, truck is already carbed and wouldn't think of using a wore out tbi thats 23 years old. and the word wasn't "losing mpg" it was "killing" mpg. the thread was cam suggestions and obviously you have none but thanks any way.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Your best bet is to call the cam companies and tell them what you are looking for so they can suggest a cam that will work best for your setup. I'm just saying the fuel injection setup will make more power if you tune it right. Otherwise you'll just be using a wore out quadrajet. Hell I think you can even get multiport for that engine.

LoAdedDiApER

Reaction score
just wanting a driveable, good sounding truck. it's already setup "old school" and i'd like to keep it simple. i know with a "peanut port" 454 there's only so much you can do to it.