Calling all gear ratio wizards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

2000 RPM at 75 sounds about perfect to me. I just don't know anything about the first two gears and how they would feel around town.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Run the numbers at idle RPM. 800 or 1000.... Push the clutch in when it comes down to idle. Then run it at 1500. Thats where you would be sitting in 1st and 2nd during stop and go traffic.

You would probably shift from 1st to 2nd at around 2500 also.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Run the numbers at idle RPM. 800 or 1000.... Push the clutch in when it comes down to idle. Then run it at 1500. Thats where you would be sitting in 1st and 2nd during stop and go traffic.

You would probably shift from 1st to 2nd at around 2500 also.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your running a NV3500 behind a turbo? Torque? Horses?
I have a NV3500 that I was thinking of freshening up to run behind my 400hp 355. I was worried it would grenade that tranny.

I haven't dyno'd it yet. It's a stock 5.3 with a 218/227 cam and theoretically 8 lbs of boost, but I haven't been brave enough to get there. Should be ~500 HP at the wheels.)

I know it's on borrowed time, but it won't blow up instantly.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This should give everybody a pretty good idea of my expectations. I'm currently driving around town in second gear (1.625) which locks out first gear and I can tolerate that it doesn't bother me so if the stick shift is better than that I'll be extremely happy.
Unfortunately as a total up everything I'm seeing that it's probably not a project I can complete right now. I'm still deciding but that transmission is a little bit more expensive than I remembered and it looks like the project would be $4,000 or more which sounds totally worth it to me I'm just not sure if I can come up with potentially $5,000.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably terrible for the engine but I really enjoy lugging an engine. Annoys the heck out of me when my automatic down shifts when I'm trying to go 3/4 throttle in a high gear. I just don't understand why these 4l60e transmissions keep blowing. :gr_grin:
Might be because you're running your engine so slow that your not building up line pressure and it's burning up the clutches. The manual will put an end to that. 2800 at 80mph would be a good number to shoot for. Most full sized trucks have the aerodynamics of a concrete block so you will have considerable aero drag at that speed. You need to have the engine making power to help overcome it or you will be spending more time at the pump.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if anybody was wondering whatever happened with this I ended up taking the remanufactured 4L60E I had in my last Tahoe for 40,000 miles before I wrecked it and I sent it back to the builder which is bow tie overdrives and had them go through it replace the seals and clutches and anything else they thought it needed so they upgraded a couple of various things throughout it that I have been too broke for when I initially had it built in 2019 and I had them install the sonax 2.84 first gear mod. The difference is incredible I am so happy with the way it drives!

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still want a stick shift someday so maybe when I hit 400,000 miles on this truck I'll be able to get it. The first transmission made it to 200,000 miles so hopefully I'll get at least that out of this transmission.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention I put 6,000 mi on the old transmission after I lost 3rd and 4th gears. I was rocking it in second gear at 3500 RPMs at 55 mph on the interstate. I am so glad to be able to go 70 at 1800 rpms again. My fuel economy is back up around 16 to 18 where it usually sets instead of 13 like it was driving around in second gear.