Calling all gear ratio wizards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
change your rear gears. 4.11s minimum. your 4l60e keeps going because your builder doesn't know what they are doing. i highly doubt it's from your driving style, but the 4l60e would gain life with a lower gear raitos as well. when you thrash on it or tow pull the lever to 3rd. doing so will also increase the life greatly.
It's a running issue with me. This one made it to 197,360 miles on the original transmission but I got it at 165,000 miles. My last 4l60e failure was a Tahoe I had no history on but the transmission in it when I got it was painted black so I know it was a rebuild or reman and it only lasted me 20,000 miles.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was multiple RPMs on the same transmission.

LOL. Didn't catch that. I thought they were all at 1800 rpm.

It's on the steep side. My project is doing about that rpm in 5th (NV3500) and I wouldn't like it if not for the turbo.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mmm yeah, 1800 at 80 is way too low. I understand OK may have 80-85mph speed limits with slack enforcement, but I bet you find that 90% of the time you're 75mph and have to be in 5th. I like 3.55 axle with 30% overdrive. For the 6 speed, personally I'd go 3.73 and let it sing if I'm running fast and loose. Lugging a small engine at very high loads is a recipe for disaster.
The t56 magnum would be about 2300 RPM at 75 in 5th gear. I rarely see over 75 so I'd probably usually drive it like a 5 speed. I just haven't liked everything I've read about the 5 speed options.
I wonder how expensive regearing is and is that something I could do at home? I have successfully replaced a 4l60e myself before but an old friend of mine claims that differentials are voodoo. :gr_grin:

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It's on the steep side. My project is doing about that rpm in 5th (NV3500) and I wouldn't like it if not for the turbo.
It definitely wouldn't win any races. If it wouldn't make it feel more anemic around town than it already does I would be very happy. I am far more concerned with durability and fuel economy than performance. I am working on getting my one ton back on the road so it would do all the real pulling.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The t56 magnum would be about 2300 RPM at 75 in 5th gear. I rarely see over 75 so I'd probably usually drive it like a 5 speed. I just haven't liked everything I've read about the 5 speed options.
I wonder how expensive regearing is and is that something I could do at home? I have successfully replaced a 4l60e myself before but an old friend of mine claims that differentials are voodoo. :gr_grin:

Re-gearing can be done at home as long as you take your time and dont get frustrated.

But a lot of people dump the 8.5" 1/2 ton axle if it needs fresh oil, lol. You can shop around for a 9.5 SF 6-lug swap and they often come with 4.10s or 3.73's from the factory. Simple driveway swap and probably the same price as if you brought your truck in for a pro to swap gears in the 8.5

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely wouldn't win any races. If it wouldn't make it feel more anemic around town than it already does I would be very happy. I am far more concerned with durability and fuel economy than performance. I am working on getting my one ton back on the road so it would do all the real pulling.

The issue is you'll probably spend a lot of your highway driving going back and forth between 5th and 6th. If you don't get on the highway much then it's not an issue.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your running a NV3500 behind a turbo? Torque? Horses?
I have a NV3500 that I was thinking of freshening up to run behind my 400hp 355. I was worried it would grenade that tranny.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-gearing can be done at home as long as you take your time and dont get frustrated.

But a lot of people dump the 8.5" 1/2 ton axle if it needs fresh oil, lol. You can shop around for a 9.5 SF 6-lug swap and they often come with 4.10s or 3.73's from the factory. Simple driveway swap and probably the same price as if you brought your truck in for a pro to swap gears in the 8.5
^^this^^

But yes you can swap gears in your driveway- if you're young, strong, conscientious and infinitely patient. And watch a lot of YouTube videos. I wouldn't touch it, but I'm old and cranky.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^this^^

But yes you can swap gears in your driveway- if you're young, strong, conscientious and infinitely patient. And watch a lot of YouTube videos. I wouldn't touch it, but I'm old and cranky.
Sounds like I should be OK if I decide to go that route then.