Calling all gear ratio wizards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking at all my options for replacing the 4l60e in my truck and although it isn't a gmt400 I haven't found another truck forum I like as much as this e so I figured I would just not mention the specifics of the truck and just discuss the parts that are applicable to gmt400s as well as my truck.
How do these combinations look to you?
You must be registered for see images attach

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not very experienced with manual transmissions so I am wondering if these ratios would work with a stock 5.3

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
What vehicle is this going into?

A light car it may be fine but 1st is awfully long and 6th is also pretty steep unless your running it for gas mileage going 75-80mph. I'd run 4.10s with that trans personally. Running in stop and go traffic would be painful.

Edit, a 5.3 likes to rev. Try to target around 2400-2500rpm at 80-85mph if not more.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What vehicle is this going into?

A light car it may be fine but 1st is awfully long and 6th is also pretty steep unless your running it for gas mileage going 75-80mph. I'd run 4.10s with that trans personally. Running in stop and go traffic would be painful.

Edit, a 5.3 likes to rev. Try to target around 2400-2500rpm at 80-85mph if not more.
The above is my current 4l60e. It pulls my 75 top speed no problem. We don't have hills here. The thing I hate is first gear is way too low for my tastes. I like efficiency. I tend to shift early and accelerate slowly when I drive a stick. I just don't have any experience with a stick in a truck. My only manuals have been in cars. I basically drive this like a car anyway. I have tools in the back seat and the biggest load it ever sees at any speed is a couple of refrigerators. I have taken a couple of trailer loads to the dump but I take it really slow and careful because this really isn't a pulling truck.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's probably terrible for the engine but I really enjoy lugging an engine. Annoys the heck out of me when my automatic down shifts when I'm trying to go 3/4 throttle in a high gear. I just don't understand why these 4l60e transmissions keep blowing. :gr_grin:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
change your rear gears. 4.11s minimum. your 4l60e keeps going because your builder doesn't know what they are doing. i highly doubt it's from your driving style, but the 4l60e would gain life with a lower gear raitos as well. when you thrash on it or tow pull the lever to 3rd. doing so will also increase the life greatly.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm yeah, 1800 at 80 is way too low. I understand OK may have 80-85mph speed limits with slack enforcement, but I bet you find that 90% of the time you're 75mph and have to be in 5th. I like 3.55 axle with 30% overdrive. For the 6 speed, personally I'd go 3.73 and let it sing if I'm running fast and loose. Lugging a small engine at very high loads is a recipe for disaster.