Cab Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Velocity

Reaction score
My 2000 k3500 doesn't have the original cab lights, wondering if anyone knows if the installation is a pain including the electric for the lighting and all?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My 2000 k3500 doesn't have the original cab lights, wondering if anyone knows if the installation is a pain including the electric for the lighting and all?

Maybe consider yourself blessed that you don't have factory roof leaks? I have them. They've been burned out for years and replacing the bulbs only fed the bulb burning out machine. They leak when it rains a lot.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like it was a thread on FullsizeChevy that I asked, "Why willingly invite 15 new potential roof leaks into your truck" - you'll be drilling 15 holes - 2 screw holes and 1 wiring access hole each, for 5 lights. The factory setup has rectangular holes punched for nut inserts similar to the ones in the core support for the grille. You won't be accomplishing that so I guess it would just be round holes drilled for a screw.

The aftermarket offerings for lenses and rubber bases varies greatly in quality; a big complaint I see a bunch is that the lenses don't sit flat against the bases, which is a major contributor to leaks. With the OEM lenses they usually just get old and cracked, and leak. The screws that hold those OEM lenses are stainless and IIRC have a small washer on them that try to seal that spot.

Which reminds me, my '93 dually is still leaking somewhere after the leaking windshield has been replaced. Not happy about it and I suspect (hope, actually) that it's the cab lights.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe consider these.
I wouldn’t.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe consider these.
I wouldn’t.
have you considered painting orange ovals on the roof where they should be? I think thats a viable workaround that solves every problem involved

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My original roof markers were in horrible shape so I bought 5 of these

I also got a tube of permatex gasket maker and ran a small bead around each hole where the light socket goes through roof to “glue down” and seal the rubber gasket. I then put a small dab under the rubber gasket on each screw hole before putting the lens in place and screwing them in place.

I was not impressed with the cheap flimsy plastic washers that were provided but cannot recall what I found to use in their place. I also believe I grabbed some stainless screws at the hardware store. Seemed to turn out OK and no leaks. Picture is right after I finished the job, I used amber LEDs for bulbs.

As for OP - I personally think I would avoid adding them to a roof that didn’t come with them. I found this write up though.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 9