Cab and interior swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smitty71

Reaction score
I'm looking to swap a 96 cab onto an 89 . I have both complete trucks 89 is assorted I bought that atreelimb had fallen on and smashed the cab. 96 is a W/T I bought for parts. Question I have is to swap all the power windows and use the old interior will I need to swap the wiring harness out of the 89 over to the 96 and if so I'm assuming I'll need to strip the 96 down to a bare cab and put everything from the 89 cab in it. Thanks for any input, will be apreciated.

Damnit_Domo

Reaction score
I'm looking to swap a 96 cab onto an 89 . I have both complete trucks 89 is assorted I bought that atreelimb had fallen on and smashed the cab. 96 is a W/T I bought for parts. Question I have is to swap all the power windows and use the old interior will I need to swap the wiring harness out of the 89 over to the 96 and if so I'm assuming I'll need to strip the 96 down to a bare cab and put everything from the 89 cab in it. Thanks for any input, will be apreciated.
I am just now finishing a complete 96 to 94 body swap. From my experience you will have to swap over all the wiring because nothing will match up as far as the connector. Splicing the wiring is also a to match up is also an option. Personally, my 96 had a crushed cab but interior was perfect and everything worked still so stripping both trucks and swapping everything was the best option for me. Hopefully this gives you some guidance.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty much. Take that new cab down to the bare shell and you still have a couple differences that are going to need addressing.

1. Steering column support is different (just tackled that one in the other recent post)

2. Passenger A-pillar grab handle bracket will be in the way of installing the '89 trim plastic, but can be drilled out - windshield is in the way. If you're really handy with a right-angle drill you might get it without damaging the glass, otherwise evaluate your windshield and maybe it's time for replacement?

3. Hole in driver side firewall for the wiring is larger on the newer cab so you'll need to do a little cover-up work.

4. Hole in passenger side firewall for the wiring is completely different. 88-90 have a square hole, 91-up have a rectangular one. Your skillset with metal work will dictate your solution here, but having both cabs present gives you some options for slice-n-dice.

5. The 95-up cabs will have a hole in the floor for the auto trans shift cable pass-through grommet, pretty simple to plug up.

May be a few other little things I'm forgetting.. but those are the obvious ones.

Oh yeah; the CHMSL hole in the cab roof (3rd brake light/cargo light combo, 94-up) I guess you could just leave plugged with the lamp itself, but your '89 won't have wiring for it.

Richard