95 cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vanceboy

Reaction score
I’ve got a 95 k1500 that I’ve crushed the cab on and I got a 96 k1500 could I swap the 96 cab onto the 95? The interior is identical

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's looks very similar but it's not identical. Mainly, the wiring and several components in and behind the dash are very different. The airbag module, A/C controls, PCM, DRAC (speed sensor buffer under the PCM tray), and more...

Your 1995 is OBD1 and the 1996 is OBD2. Major differences in the wiring and control systems between those, plus 1995 has many "one year only" parts, some of which are the those modules in and behind the dash.

Best bet is to pop the dash out of the '96 (I'd start on it for practice, since you won't be using it, if you mess it up you won't be kicking yourself for damaging your '95 dash that you need) and put your '95 dash in the '96 cab. There may be a few other differences I'm forgetting along the way but the ones I mentioned are the big gotchas.

Technically, the dash shells themselves are practically the same but the wiring and modules behind them are what you're after and it's much easier to deal with, with the dash removed.

Richard