C3500 Forged Upper Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
I have looked high and low to try to find forged alloy upper control arms that fit the C3500 series trucks. Is anyone aware who might manufacture them? I found ones from Rough Country, but they only fit 1500 series trucks.
The OEM ones are tubular, which is adequate, mine lasted 143,000 miles and 22yrs of service.

If not, there are plenty of options from Rock Auto, and Parts Geek to Moog and A/C Delco.

I 've been in the middle of doing brakes, shocks, sway bar link kits, fender well splash guards, etc. and trying to track down a rattle when hitting a bump coming from the right side. Low and behold it was the rear upper control arm bushing, (RH side). Everything else is nice and tight on both sides, upper and lower, and all steering rod components.

I'll go Moog or Delco if not and decide per price and availability.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look up previous forum discussion thread by TerryH dated:May 2, 2015 Title: Little help with C3500 upper control arms...
And see if this will address your concern.
Good luck and lets us know how it all turns out for you.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have looked high and low to try to find forged alloy...

Alloy? Do you mean aluminum?

The OEM ones are tubular, which is adequate, mine lasted 143,000 miles and 22yrs of service.

They're not tubular. They're solid forgings.

Why not just replace the ball joints and bushings, and keep your original GM control arms? New ones will probably be from overseas. I know the rivets are a pain to remove, and the bushings will require a press, unless the shells are in good shape, and you can just put urethane bushings in the old shells. I have not done the bushings, just the ball joints, and I paid a shop to drill out the rivots but guys here have done the rivets themselves.

I've actually got a 2wd set that I saved from a former employer to rebuild if I ever get a 2wd.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
Look up previous forum discussion thread by TerryH dated:May 2, 2015 Title: Little help with C3500 upper control arms...
And see if this will address your concern.
Good luck and lets us know how it all turns out for you.
Thanks for the heads up. I had tried searching a thread prior to posting but came up snake eyes.
I searched that one and figured out a game plan.
Thank you.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
Alloy? Do you mean aluminum?

They're not tubular. They're solid forgings.

Why not just replace the ball joints and bushings, and keep your original GM control arms? New ones will probably be from overseas. I know the rivets are a pain to remove, and the bushings will require a press, unless the shells are in good shape, and you can just put urethane bushings in the old shells. I have not done the bushings, just the ball joints, and I paid a shop to drill out the rivots but guys here have done the rivets themselves.

I've actually got a 2wd set that I saved from a former employer to rebuild if I ever get a 2wd.
Yes, I did mean an aluminum alloy for the purpose of saving weight and gaining strength.
I stand corrected they are solid forgings of a tubular appearance/shape.

I do have the means to remove and press in new hardware. There is a hydraulic press along the wall next to the floor drill press and work bench. I'm getting lazier in my old age I suppose. I would have pressed everything out, then took the time to sand blast and paint the arms prior to installing the new ones. Yeah, the ball joint rivets suck, done hundreds of them back in the day. just was trying to save time also. Rock Auto had great prices on Moog brand parts.
I've done and helped many friends do the urethane conversions. Not much is available I found for the 1 ton club.

You have a good plan for a 2wd. hope one comes into your future.