Buying a 97 parts truck for my 92 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys

I've been contemplating ordering tons of parts for my C1500 (94+ front end, AC parts, bumper with trim).

There are so many running and driving cheap OBS trucks around here I think I'm better off buying a whole truck for some parts.

Can I swap a large portion of the AC parts from a 97 into my 92? I realize the vortec accessory drive is different. I'd buy new compressor anyway to convert to R134.

This donor truck I'm looking at will give me the SS style sport wheels, bumper, front grill conversion parts and hopefully AC parts. Thoughts?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not really the best donor for your purposes. The 97 A/C system is very different in terms of wiring, controls, dash ductwork, and of course the compressor setup as you already know.

If the truck is cheap enough to justify it for the other parts you'll use, then go for it. Just understand that the HVAC parts are going to be a mixed bag. The main thing you'll be able to use will be the main box behind the dash and even that will be a bit different in terms of the spot for the blower motor resistor (different size and shape than 92) and it will be wired differently, as well as the actuators *might* not be compatible with the older style controls once you source those.

Richard

Reaction score
Thanks Richard that's just what I needed to hear. I looked at the truck yesterday and wasnt all that impressed. Would a 94 be a better donor? My understanding is they were R134 from new?

Not really the best donor for your purposes. The 97 A/C system is very different in terms of wiring, controls, dash ductwork, and of course the compressor setup as you already know.

If the truck is cheap enough to justify it for the other parts you'll use, then go for it. Just understand that the HVAC parts are going to be a mixed bag. The main thing you'll be able to use will be the main box behind the dash and even that will be a bit different in terms of the spot for the blower motor resistor (different size and shape than 92) and it will be wired differently, as well as the actuators *might* not be compatible with the older style controls once you source those.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
94 would have far more in common with your 92, that's for sure. You could transplant basically everything from it related to the A/C with relative ease. And yes, 94 is first year for R134a refrigerant in these trucks.

Richard