Brake Lights Staying On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bgt2017

Reaction score
Alright so on my ‘90 k1500 my break lights are staying on sometimes when I release the brake pedal. I’m in school with no time or place to work on it so I took it to les schwabb because it started after they did some other work. The guy says he replaced a missing return spring but the problem is still occurring. I seem to remember a return switch that the pedal arm would hit when it returned but after getting it ‘fixed’ I noticed that switch wasn’t there. Anyone know if that missing. Switch is the problem or is there something else goin on?

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a faulty brake light switch. Its mounted on the brake pedal assembly. Have someone watch your brakelights and you can lay up under the dash and see whats going on when you hit them. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bgt2017

Reaction score
Sounds like a faulty brake light switch. Its mounted on the brake pedal assembly. Have someone watch your brakelights and you can lay up under the dash and see whats going on when you hit them. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've considered that but I just replaced it not too long ago. It just acts like the pedal isn’t returning all the way. I can lift the pedal and the lights turn off

spitanddirt

Reaction score
How old are your parking brake cables? It sounds like they might be dragging pretty bad like mine were. Over the years,the cables develop a lot of corrosion between the outer steel spiral wrapping and it squeezes the inner element causing excess drag.

You either pull up the pedal with your tow while also holding the parking brake release, or you end up replacing cables and adjusting them to get the correct tension.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bgt2017

Reaction score
How old are your parking brake cables? It sounds like they might be dragging pretty bad like mine were. Over the years,the cables develop a lot of corrosion between the outer steel spiral wrapping and it squeezes the inner element causing excess drag.

You either pull up the pedal with your tow while also holding the parking brake release, or you end up replacing cables and adjusting them to get the correct tension.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Not happening on the parking brake. Just the regular brake pedal itself.

Bgt2017

Reaction score
It acts as though the break pedal itself just has a fraction of an inch of play that it doesn’t always return to normal and lifting the pedal manually turns the lights off. After releasing the pedal from an up position the lights stay off until the pedal is depressed again. The pedal doesn’t always stick like this and I can only tell that it does by a light on my trailer brake controller. Other than that I can tell no difference in how the pedal moves or feel it stick in any way

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can lift the pedal and the lights turn off
What did he replace the missing return spring with? A rubber band? Replace it yourself with the correct spring. That way you'll know it was done right.